Azamara Journey Cruise Review by richchap

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 1A
See More About: Azamara Journey Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Azamara Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

An absolute dream cruise.
We are a couple aged 65 and 55 respectively. In wonderful shape and well traveled but we had never been on a cruise. We thought it to be too stodgy and way too laid back for our style of travelling. Well, we finally decided to do it and did our due diligence and chose an Azamara Quest cruise in the Med in early October.Oh, by the way, we made our reservations for this trip 10 days before sailing.Well, I'm happy I did that.

We arrived Rome the day before our cruise. We booked a great hotel on the water at our departure port,had a delicious diner nearby and woke the next morning to explore town before walking with our luggage to the pier a bit after noon. The boarding process was professional,swift and most cordial.It took hardly any time and we were greeted onboard with champagne.We were directed to go to lunch and promised that by the time it was over our luggage would be in our cabin. Lunch was a buffet and it was delicious.

The ship is beautiful. It's what a classic Ocean liner is suppose to be in my opinion.The ship looks like it was launched last year. The crew is constantly cleaning and looking after you with the biggest smiles and greetings you can imagine.

From the Captain on down these are the nicest ,friendliest and most professional people I have ever encountered travelling en masse.

Our cabin was a veranda on 6. It was fine and came well stocked with toiletries and a loaded mini fridge. Fruit each day was very nice. Our cabin attendant was perfect. He just did it without even being asked.

We did not take any of the cruise tours as we had already been to some of the destinations and enjoy going out on our own.

The food on-board was delicious. We ate in both of the specialty restaurants as well as the MDR.

Fellow passengers were from the US & Great Britain for the most part.

The size of the ship was very important to us. We purposely did not want to go on a Mega ship. One of the advantages of this with Azamara was that we actually got to know quite a few of our fellow passengers.The ship carries under 700 and I think on our cruise there were about 640. We always requested to be seated at a large table with others. We met so many nice people that way. I am a smoker and the one area on the ship where it's allowed also afforded me the pleasure of meeting even more people.

Do I enjoy being on a beautiful compact ship that's crewed by the nicest people,being served absolutely great food,not concerned about formal nights or tipping in general nor feeling as though I'm being "nickel and dimed" as so many other cruise people told us later? Well sure. Wouldn't you?

Publication Date: 02/26/12