Carnival Dream Cruise Review by carverpugh: Two great weeks in the Caribbean

carverpugh
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Two great weeks in the Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and daughter (age 5) departed on January 28th for two weeks on the Dream. We also were traveling with other family members of various ages.

The ship is obviously very large. In my opinion, it is laid out extremely well and looked very fresh, new & clean. I was quite nervous since I had read such varying reviews. All members of my party had a great vacation and were surprised that we didn't endure more lines, bad food and that foul odor everyone keeps talking about.

The Good things:
1. The Lido buffet & lunch stations were awesome. I found the Tandoori, Burrito & Pasta stations the first day and enjoyed them often.
2. The Lanai on Deck 5 was wonderful and quiet. They have a BBQ out on the deck most days and the food was great. The view of the ocean was wonderful and there was even a hot tub right there for us to enjoy. There was never a lack of deck chairs on the Lanai.
3. The dining room food was pretty good. I had all good meals, More but my husband's food was a little uneven. We had anytime dining and it worked out well. I had the lobster and shrimp dinner twice since we were there for two weeks and it was perfectly cooked both times. I was surprised by this since most cruise ship lobster is overcooked.
4. The kids program was very good and my daughter loved being there.
5. The entertainment was the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship. We saw all of the shows both
weeks. They were amazing and very unique unlike other things I have seen.
6. The staff was exceptional in every department that I interacted with.
7. The Spa was great and we used it almost every day. Splurge with a massage! Mine was great.

Frustrations:
1. The music is so loud on the main pool deck that I couldn't hear myself think. When the girl did Bingo it actually hurt my ears and I like loud music. It seemed funny to me that they played music that appealed to teenage girls and really drunk adults that make me embarrassed to be an adult. When I looked around the majority of the crowd were seniors. It made me wish that they would change things up a bit and offer different types of music. They also didn't take advantage of the huge movie screen. It was mostly not playing anything except for later in the day like early evening.
2. Not enough pools, but I didn't experience the chair hogs. For the most party, people were pretty cool and gave you their parties unused chairs.
3. The elevators are only a problem at breakfast and after the shows if you don't leave early. All the old people like to go to breakfast, so the elevators are jammed packed in the morning. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Panorama

We were in an interior Spa cabin and it was too small for my little family of 3. My uncle had an inside room on deck 1 that was much bigger and nicer than mine. I wish the person that booked my cabin would have talked to me about this because I could have gotten the spa pass separately and enjoyed more space.

Didn't go in. We have been there 3 other times and there is really nothing of interest at that particular port.

Beach Break

(5)
This was the highlight of my week. The resort was the most amazing place I have ever been. It was BEAUTIFULLY landscaped, it sat on a real blue lagoon, there were kayaks, hammocks & margaritas! It was a perfect day!!!

The beach day in Roatan really can't be beat for the money since it is free. Traveling to West Bay Beach is awesome but takes time and some cash.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews

We had a great time. We took the Carnival cruise line tour to the Butterfly Farm and my daughter LOVED it.