Carnival Magic Cruise Review by nlktx49: Magic is Great for Eastern Caribbean Valentine's Cruise

nlktx49
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Southern Caribbean Cruises

Magic is Great for Eastern Caribbean Valentine's Cruise

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Galveston

We had seen so many negative reviews about the ship. I'm glad to say that none of the complaints were experienced by us! We drove to Galveston on Sunday, Feb. 12, and boarded the ship around 12:30 - there was a long line but it moved very quickly. Tipped off by Cruise Critic, we knew to go to deck 11 to Cucina del Capitano, the Italian restaurant, for lunch, which was free. There is a $12 charge at night. Had some very good pasta, and a DOD.

By the time we were through, our cabin was ready. This was an interior, and it seemed smaller than interiors we have had in the past on the Ecstasy, but it was fine. Met our steward, Joslyn. We went back up to deck 5 to check out things there. We were impressed with the ship, and it didn't seem too overwhelmingly big to us. Muster drill was very quiet and orderly.

We ate in the main dining room, had Izabela, Lucas and Ivan for our wait team. They were excellent every night - no wait for glasses to be filled or courses to come, More food was good and hot. After dinner we checked out the casino for a little while.

The next day was a sea day and we played some trivia - I won a 24 karat gold plastic ship on a stick! - and went to a cooking demo which was delicious. More casino time, a nap, then dinner again, then a comedy show. Next day was Key West, which we enjoyed. Then Freeport and Nassau, which were not at all what I had read about. Two more sea days, then back to Galveston. Disembarkation was very organized and quick, I was pleased by this.

The ship was very clean, room service trays were picked up out of the halls quickly, the tables in the Lido were bussed as soon as people got up, there were people constantly sweeping, or vacuuming, or polishing. Our room steward made sure we had ice at all times. We ate breakfast in the MDR every morning, and all except for the last day, we had good, quick service. Had pizza for lunch twice and it was very good. The casino wasn't too smokey on the non-smoking side and we even won a little on the slots!

Crew and staff was very friendly, always spoke. Had a problem with the cabin being too warm, but a call to Guest Services had someone down promptly to fix the problem.

One night we went to see the illusionist show - I was very impressed with this. All the special effects and singing and dancing were much better than I expected from a ship's show. Very entertaining!

Overall we were very pleased with this cruise. In fact, as soon as we got back we got on the phone with our travel agent to book another cruise! Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Interior Main 2335

Although our interior cabin was small, the bathroom seemed larger than on other ships. The location about midship was great as we didn't need to walk far to get to things, the dining room was just one floor up so we were able to take the stairs. Not much noise from the hallways. Plenty of storage space. Would have liked to have a chair instead of the stool. Overall we were pleased.

I was pleased and surprised at Freeport that things were nice and clean at the port, and it was easy to get a taxi to take us to Port Lucaya. I had read about people just staying on the ship at this port, that you would be harassed by people trying to sell you things if you got off, and that it was dirty. Not what we found at all. We shopped for a little while at Port Lucaya, then went to the resort casino and signed up for their players' club and got a $10 credit to gamble on! That lasted a while for me, my husband won $15 on his. The water was beautiful here, would have liked to go to a beach, will do that next time!
Read 781 Freeport Reviews

Key West is a great place to visit, we'd like to spend more time there. My sister-in-law and I bought tickets online for the City View Trolley, and took it once completely around town, then back around about halfway before we got off. We went to Kermit's and had key lime pie, then went to Kino's and each bought 2 pairs of sandals, then did a little more shopping. It was interesting to see all the sights and hear the history of the island. Pretty place. My husband and his brother-in-law did the Pub Crawl, arranged through the ship, and had a good time checking out five different bars.
Read 741 Key West Reviews

Again, this port was nicer than I was led to expect. Coming off the boat we were able to find a man who was licensed and regulated who said he would take us and some other people on a tour of the city and then out to Atlantis for about 45 minutes. This is just what we wanted so we went with him in his air conditioned van. Traffic was terrible, lots of very narrow streets, but he was skillful in his driving. He knew all the history and was very entertaining telling it to us. He dropped us off at Atlantis where we went to the casino for a while. He picked us back up and took us around some more. Our tour took about 2 and 1/2 hours, and he only charged $25 each. He offered to drop us off in the shopping area, but we all asked to go back to the port so that's where he took us. Everyone we met was nice and polite. The town is very pretty in parts. Next time we'll probably go to the beach, which is what our original place was, to go to the British Colonial Hilton and get a day pass.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews