Norwegian Star Cruise Review by denbroncs: First Time With Norwegian

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

First Time With Norwegian

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

This is the 3rd cruise line I have cruised with. On all of them, my experience has been that the room stewards & restaurant people are among the most pleasant on the ship. After that, it is kind of hit & miss. With Norwegian, every person we came in contact with seemed to have a genuine interest in us & in how they could make our cruise even better. I was very impressed with their service at all levels. We had a few small problems, but they were taken care of immediately. When I cruised with Royal Caribbean, they dropped the ball a number of times - and did not seem real motivated to resolve anything.

Personally, I did not like the Norwegian Star. It has an awkward layout that makes getting around a real trick. The pool deck is way too small for a ship that big - so unless you reserved seats (not supposed to do that) forget about lounging in the pool area. You might get a lounge chair in the front "adults only" area. Smoke is not nearly as bad on this ship as it More was with the Navigator (Royal) or the Ecstasy (Carnival) but we could smell it in the hallway of the 11th floor on a busy night of gambling.

We ate at a couple specialty restaurants (Ginza, Teppanaki, Le Bistro, Cagneys) and at most of the other free restaurants on the ship. Ginza & Teppanaki were awesome. le Bistro was good, but I did not feel like it was worth the extra $$. Cagneys was just ok. Of the main dining rooms, Versailles (for some reason) had better food & service than Aqua. The only place that was horrible was the Blue Lagoon - the 24 hour restaurant. The menu is lacking & the food was bad. The service was exceptionally slow for simple items.

The cruise director, Pedro, was great. He was sort of like a cruise director/stand up comic. His announcements were quick, humorous, and to the point. The shows towards the end of the week were very good. For some reason, the first couple (Shout!/ 60's show) were not that great. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 11550

We loved our cabin. Every once and a while, we could hear "footsteps" above us, but it was usually very quiet. The master bedroom is huge & has plenty of storage space. The couch makes a very comfortable twin bed instead of the typical uncomfortable double. If I were to complain, I'd say the kids room has too little storage space, but they do have a large bathroom.

I love Belize, but Belize is not great by ship. First, you take an hour from your day tendering to & from the ship. If you go to a place like Caye Caulker, take another 2 hours away since you'd need to take another boat. The port itself is dirty & is not a place one feels safe to wander around too much. We arranged for a cave tubing tour & was hit by another van on the way out of town - the van left the scene! Cave tubing was fantastic & is a must do!

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

(5)
Costa Maya is great. It is by far the cleanest port I've ever been to - and that includes the private port of Labadee. We booked with Native Choice tours and saw the Chacchoben ruins and then learned to make tortillas by Mayan women in their village. The kids didn't care too much for the ruins, but we all enjoyed meeting & being with the Mayans.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

Beach Break

(1)
This place has turned into an all-inclusive. I arrived at 3 p.m. & they tried to sell me (for $50/ person) all you can drink/eat scam - even though they knew we were only there for 2 hours. Huge tarps with tables underneath cover what used to be a beautiful beach. If I hadn't taken a taxi to meet the rest of my group, I would have gone somewhere else.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

(5)
If you can get past the disorganization & rip-off of $140 to buy "their" pictures (you are not allowed to take your own pictures) you will really like this. My 7 y/o had the time of his life & the expressions on his face are priceless

Snorkeling

(4)
The snorkeling in Cozumel is very good, but with 6 ships in port at the same time, it was not a great experience as there were way too many people and boats in the water.

I liked Roatan. We booked a tour of the island and stopped to hold monkeys, birds, and zupline. We then ended up at West Beach. The snorkeling was not as good as Belize or Cozumel, but if you've never done it before it's a great place to start. We were not able to spend any time walking around at the port since our tour began immediately upon our arrival - and was not over until embarkation time.
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews