Golden Princess Cruise Review by Tinas Coma woman: Great days at sea

Great days at sea

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Loved the 9 days at sea (well the last day was a stop in Ensenada for a few hours but most of the day was at sea.) There was always something to do during the day, many activities offered, and there is always a spot to just get that book out to read. Into reading? Try skywalkers nightclub at the back of the ship. During the day it is quiet, out of the way so most people don't come up and the views are awesome. It also has nice little nooks with comfortable chairs and sofas to curl up to read - or maybe take a nap.
Crew was very friendly, always ready to help. I liked that the selling that goes on aboard the ship was rather low keyed compared to other lines we have sailed on. Food was good, however I did not like the lunch or dinner menu served in the Horizon Court. But there is always pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and other salads and sandwiches in the International cafe. One does not go hungry. I like the ice cream shop that is open all day rather than for an hour or so a More day as I have experienced on other lines. We bought the soda plan and added the new smoothie plan to one of the cards and found that to be a deal. My husband had a number of smoothie drinks a day and one can also have non-alcoholic drinks as well as shakes and malts. Want a relative quiet place to eat outside on deck 14 go to the very back of the ship. Many mornings there was no one there. I appreciated no smoking in cabins, but I did not like that you had to go through the casino to get to the Princess Theater if you accessed it on deck 7 which was almost every day a smoking location. Also on deck 14 one side was for smokers, but when the wind blew in the wrong direction you were overcome by smoke. I hope in the future there can be other locations for smokers to go that would not interfere with people like myself that have health issues with 2nd hand smoke. I recommend having a sweater or a light jacket for the days at sea if you are out on the upper decks or walking deck 7 outside - it can be cool and always windy. Our cabin was comfortable, bed was very comfortable and the closet was huge. We hang almost all our clothes and there was more than adequate space. I did bring extra hangers, however Princess did provide quite a few. We were on the Caribe deck and our balcony was twice the size of the other balconies. One point though was that most of balcony could be viewed by the people on the upper decks but you could sit under the slight overhand to avoid people looking down on you. Loved the cruise, crew was great, food good, Princess gives a good value for the cost and I would recommend this cruise. In fact I am ready to book another one but maybe for March or May. Feb was a great time to see the whales which we did see everyday we were in the islands - this was better than all the other cruises we took to Alaska and Mexico where we also had the chance to see whales. When we stopped in Kaua'i, which was beautiful island to come into, we hopped one of the free shuttles to Walmart to do some shopping. So don't worry if you need that island shirt or dress, or just ran out of something you need - every island had a free shuttle to Walmart or Hilo Hatties for shopping. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck c-614

We had a BA cabin. We had a huge closet, lots of storage in the cabinet by the closet and all the other drawers in the main part of the cabin. Caribe deck has great balconies, bigger by twice the rest of the balconies on the other decks. Caribe deck is midway between most of the decks you needed to access so that was nice. Our cabin was midway between the stern stairs/elevators and mid-ship stairs/elevators which was nice. Bed was very comfortable. Caribe deck is a quiet deck since you have only cabins above and below you.

(4)
We did not get into Hilo proper since we took a tour for most of the day. Went to the Lava Tree state park, MacKenzie Park and lava fields to walk on a past lava flow. Saw part of the town as we were driving out, stopped at Rainbow Falls also. Tour was good since this was our second time at Hilo we did this tour to see parts of the island we had not seen before. Stopped at the macadamia nut farm. Stop was way too long. They wanted us to shop naturally but found you could buy the nuts at Wal Mart for less.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

Great location for tying up. Right next to the Aloha tower and a small shopping center. We did the Memorial and Military base tour. Unfortunately the weather was not cooperative and the Navy cancelled all tours out to the Memorial. The museum is good but for some this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to tour the Memorial and they were very disappointed. The rest of the tour took us to some of the major military bases on the island to see first hand where some of the Pearl Harbour attacks took place. This was interesting. Our tour also took us to different parts of the island so we could see some of Honolulu. One stop was the Punch Bowl but tours are not allowed to stop and let passengers out to tour this beautiful cemetery. Last stop was the "Home of the Brave" museum which is owned by the tour company. It was okay but I could have passed on it. Another place to sell tourist items. We did get money back on the tour since we did not get to go to the Arizona.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

(4)
Took the Maui Ocean Center tour. Had a 30 minute ride to the center along the coast which was beautiful. Center was nice, if you have been to one aquarium you probably have seen most of the fish they have but it was worth the cost. The city of Lahaina is fun to walk around, more shopping opportunities. See the big Banyan tree just off the dock.
Read 264 Maui Reviews