Silver Explorer Cruise Review by mdbasile: Excellent Expedition Cruise - review from a non-cruiser

mdbasile
Member Since 2010

Service Not Rated

Compare Prices on Silver Explorer South America & Antarctica Cruises

Excellent Expedition Cruise - review from a non-cruiser

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Ushuaia

Antarctica is a very special place. We very much wanted to go, but as someone who does not cruise we were a little ?? about having to take a cruise to do it.

Note: there are other options, but they are extraordinarily expensive, one lives in tents and there is no wildlife to speak of.

Anyway, I cannot give any kind of comparisons to other ships, so I will just give you our view from that perspective.

Pros:

The expedition staff was incredible and I cannot imagine a better run expedition with more qualified staff. The landings, the side trips, the zodiac cruises - just AWESOME!! I must include the personalities of the expedition crew really added to the fun.

In some ways it was a little like camp and these were the camp counselors... way more serious and professional, but since us guest are such noobs - well we have to be shown the ropes, and they did a terrific job of breaking us in.

The ship - We felt the size was about right, and due More to the nature of the trip we decided to spend the extra cash to get one of the larger suites. Ours was the Expedition suite mid ship on the 4th deck. It was really nice and we enjoyed the extra space. I sort of wish I had spent a little more for the Silver Suite since one can open the doors and get fresh air. The food was quite good, not the best in the world, but heck - were provisioned for 10 days Once. Our butler was very nice and all the little things were done to make us comfortable.

Heck, the staff even help "dig in" so we could get the Super Bowl live on the ship. I am quite sure we were one of, if not the only ship to get the game. The staff even put out chips, burger and dogs(and they are all European and still made it work).

Cons:
Parts of the ship are getting a little tired, namely the Observation Lounge - to me it seemed like a complete waste of space - renovate it and put a bar up there - after 10 days we got tired of the same "go to" lounge.

Fitness center is way too small - the people who take this trip are a generally active group and a decent fitness center is needed.

All in all - go to Antarctica - spend the extra coin to go on a nice ship like the Explorer and enjoy an unbelievable experience. Less

Read more Silver Explorer cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Silver Explorer Review >>

Cabin review: Silver Explorer 427

Get a room mid-ship - helps in wild seas. Bow is not good. We likes 427(or 422) deck 4 mid-ship right over the stabilizers. The windows are too small on deck 3. If you have the cash - go for the silver suites mid-ship(527/522). I would not spend the money for the Medallion, Grand or Owners Suites, unless sea sickness cannot happen -- they move a lot. 427 - large room, great closet, big bed - we loved it.

Ushuaia is a nice town - fairly good restaurants and alot of scenic beauty. I, frankly like it better in the winter as a ski destination.
Read 98 Ushuaia Reviews