Carnival Victory Cruise Review by nward: Fun Time on the Victory

Fun Time on the Victory

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my first cruise and my boyfriend's 4th cruise. We chose the Victory because of the itinerary. We were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday and most of the ports were new for him. The cruise ship is a little dated, but it is very clean!

This was my first time cruising and I truly had a blast. I was super excited to experience cruising and I was not disappointed. Our room was an ocean view with a balcony. It was pretty spacious. The furniture was a little dated. But, again, it was very clean. Our steward did an awesome job of cleaning our room twice a day! I read complaints about the amount of space available on the counter. I thought the space was adequate. There is also a medicine cabinet in the bathroom with ample space.

The food on the cruise was good. If you're looking for 5 star dining options, you will be disappointed. But, from a practical standpoint, I thought the food was fine. We enjoyed lunch on the Lido deck most days. The Caribbean More buffet theme was good, in my opinion. We ate dinner in the Atlantic dining room every night, except when we did the Chef's Table. We had the late seating and truly enjoyed the experience. Albert and Ivanka did an excellent job taking care of us. The food was good, as well. My favorite meal was the lobster and shrimp for the Captain's dinner. I have to say that the wine list was more extensive than I anticipated and very good! I was surprised. Overall, I truly have no complaints about the food on the Victory. Actually, the only complaint I do have is about the scrambled eggs. AWFUL. I think they're powdered. I'm not sure. But, please, please do NOT eat them. LOL. They were terrible.

The Chef's Table was an awesome experience. My boyfriend had never done it before and we decided to give it a try. Reading the comments on the board cemented our decision to sign up for it. It was excellent! We took a tour of the galley, which was truly informative. During the galley tour we had appetizers (soooooo yummmy...especially the duck pot stickers) and champagne. From there we moved on to the library and were served a four course meal with non-stop wine flowing. It was truly a wonderful experience and the food was delicious. There were about 13 of us at the Chef's Table. The entire experience was about 3 hours. It didn't feel like it, though. I highly recommend trying it.

The itinerary was great. We started in San Juan and then on to St. Thomas, one day at sea, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Martin. All ports were fun. The only island I had not been to before was St. Kitts. I loved it. We went to the beach and did a mini tour of the island. I'd definitely visit again. The weather, overall, was really good. Very warm and only rained in Barbados. It is a port heavy itinerary. But, that's what I enjoyed about the itinerary. So much to do.

The crew was very nice. Some were more friendly than others. But, for the most part the crew was very nice. Matt, the cruise director, was funny and personable. The comedians were really funny! Again, I was surprised. I was not sure what to expect. But, they were quite funny and entertaining. The Carnival show was entertaining as well. I thought the singers were ok. They were not bad by any stretch of the imagination. But, they were not excellent either. For what it was, I thought they were fine.

Seeing that this was my first cruise, I was not sure what to expect in terms of the overall make up of the passengers. I am from New York, so I am used to diversity! It was quite a diverse cruise. Lots and lots of Canadians. I thought that was great. There were many Puerto Ricans, too. I think this was because we embarked in Puerto Rico. Most announcements were made in English followed by Spanish. The passengers were diverse in terms of age as well.

I truly enjoyed the Carnival Victory and recommend it to anyone that would like to experience a port heavy itinerary. Looking forward to my next cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>