Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by nalakitty: A relaxing winter getaway

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A relaxing winter getaway

Sail Date: February 2012

We arrived at the port after a flight from Newark at 11 am. We were on the ship within minutes and had lunch at the Oceanview buffet. The buffet layout is terrific. Food is nicely displayed and easy to find and get. The quality was ok nothing that impressed but we certainly did not go hungry. The layout of the coffee and tea dispensers was very good. I especially liked the paper take away coffee cups. I always bring our travel coffee cups but it was nice that they gave you the options. Our cabin was ready by 1PM and we settled in. The cabin 7330 was very nice. Bed was by the balcony and we had no problem with that. Our luggage was outside our door by 4PM and we unpacked. There was plenty of storage. We especially liked the cabinets over the bed. We are both tall and the height was not a problem. The bathroom has lots of storage and the shower was a delight. The curved shower doors were a great idea. The old shower curtain always stuck to me. The foot rest in the shower to help when More you shave your legs is a nice touch.

We had first sitting in the Moonlight Sonata dining room. We had requested a table for 2 but were originally assigned a table for 6. We were able to get that changed for a 2 again. The dining room was a not as we expected. We are Select Captain's Club with this being our 7th Celebrity Cruise. We also have 7 Princess cruises and Holland America, Norwegian, Cunard, and Home Lines. I say this just to show we are not newbies to the cruise experience. We really have never had any complaints about the service before. It just seemed like the ship was pushing the limits to economize. We never had dinner take so long. The waiter and his assistant did everything they could but they had so many people to serve that it took forever. Usually the courses come one after the other but we had to wait between courses, 10, 15 minutes sometimes 20. Waiting for the main course with just a tiny appetizer we ended up emptying the bread basket and then did not enjoy the main course as much because we were full of bread. The wine steward was also spread thin. The people at the next table had the Premium drink package and the husband actually had to get up and got to a nearby bar to get more wine during the meal. There was no bar service at all in the dining room for us. The first night we declined having a drink and after that we never saw a bar person again during dinner for the rest of the week

We did get a bottle of wine the second night and we were unpleasantly surprised to discover that the half bottles of reasonably priced wines were out of stock. In fact all reasonably priced wines were in short supply. The chef's recommendation was usually a $140 bottle. The only half bottles available were $45 for a half bottle. We prefer the half bottles because they are fresh. I will drink left over wine but we usually have 1 glass each and like it better to have a fresh bottle. It's a personal thing but we were so pleased to see it on the wine list and then disappointed that none were available. Especially in that the cruise left from Miami within sight of the headquarters of the cruise line that they did not restock before each cruise. Several times we tried to order wine and we were told they were out of it. The couple at the next table gave up on the dining room and used the specialty restaurants for the rest of the trip. I resent being forced to do this to get decent service.

Cabin service was good our attendant was efficient we rarely saw him but everything was done so I have no complaints. Again the waiter and assistant were not at fault for the delays. They tried very hard.

Just another personal preference is that that I was used to having a card in the cabin and on the dining room table with the attendant and the waiter and his assistant's name. This cruise they did not have that. I had difficulty reading their name tags and could not understand what they said and felt funny asking them repeatedly so I gave up and didn't call them anything just smile and say Hi. It was awkward. I guess I need the visual. I wish they would go back to that.

The stops were unimportant to us. The purpose of the cruise was the cruise and not the stops. We did get off in San Juan and visited the CVS for an 8 pack of diet coke for $2.67 with my CVS card. It was $2.30 a can on the ship. I know you can buy an unlimited plan but I don't drink that much soda so the 8 cans covered us for the rest of the cruise nicely. We got off the ship and walked around in St Maarten and St Kitts but mostly enjoyed the ship. The pool area was nicely arranged with lots of chairs in the shade which is where I sit. They had nice hammocks but I was afraid that once I got on it I would never be able to get off so I didn't try. The solarium area was nice and peaceful but I wanted fresh air after being cooped up inside in the winter. I really enjoyed the soft serve frozen yogurt machines in the Aquaspa and the grill area. Service in the pool area was also lacking. In the past I no sooner finished my food and a waiter was asking if he could remove the dish, however this cruise there was no one picking up the dirty dishes in the pool area. I had dirty dishes sitting on the foot of my chair for 3 hours one day before someone took them.

The activities were plentiful. There was really something for everyone. We saw the Circ de Soleil type show but rarely made it to others. We needed rest and relaxation and that what we concentrated on. I would have liked to see the comedian but the shows were late and I couldn't make it.

Disembarkation was speedy. We had a quick breakfast at 6 am and by 7:10am we were in a taxi heading to the airport. This was a restful, pleasant cruise with a few glitches but great vacation overall. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 7330

7330 Bed by balcony great location quiet