“Awesome trip”

advancedalgebra
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Where does a person start? From embarkation to debarkation every minute spent on the Norwegian Jewel exceeded our expectations. I have spent more time on my local supermarket checkout lines than I did (in total) for activities on this cruise. The amazing hospitality and knowledge displayed by staff and crew is truly a rarity. Entertainment is top notch including the "Jewel" on board troupes to each of the specialty entertainers. The magnificent, enormous theatre does not have a poor seat in the house and is truly in itself a sight to behold. The many, many bar and lounges also had fantastic entertainers. One performer, Bernie Martini, should be a super star! The balcony stateroom was immaculately clean at all times and totally equipped with everything a top hotel provides, and the beds were more comfortable!! We dined in 3 of the specialty restaurants for dinner but since the main dining room food was very good (more of a selection needed), I don't know if we would do it again. We could have done without the Port Canaveral stop and would have preferred an overnight stay in the Bahamas. The day at the private island, Great Stirrup Cay was beautiful and there was more than enough to keep one busy. It appeared to us that the kids and teens were having the time of their lives so this is for sure a family oriented ship as well. Our one complaint was the smoking in the casino. We are frequent visitors to the AC casinos near home and looked forward to the casino experience on board. The casino itself is very nice however as the only indoor area that allowed smoking it was impossible to get a breath of fresh air while inside and the acrid smoke really ruined the fun of gambling for us. I wonder why a separate enclosed smoking area somewhere on the ship is not offered instead. We would take another cruise on this ship in a heartbeat, but we will avoid the smokey casino.
Norwegian Jewel Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Balcony

BA
Our cabin was on deck 9 and slightly aft of midship. Nice size closets and drawers, very comfortable beds (had ours divided into 2 twins), comfortable couch, nice sit down vanity area with hair dryer and mirror. The bathroom divided into 3 compartments-shower, sink, and toilet. Toilet could be a tight fit for a larger person. TV, hot water pot, refrigerator and mini-bar and small table. Balcony with a great view and protected from the wind. We did not hear any noise from the hallway or adjacent cabins. Each night we found a new "towel animal" on our bed. Nice touch!

Port
Once again, very easy. Key card, photo ID and off we went. Loved the friendliness of the Bahamians, very helpful and knowledgeable. No problems at the port or on our excursion. Took the Aqua-venture excursion to the Atlantis. Totally enjoyable experience but I do wonder if I could have done the same thing on my own by just taking a taxi.
Read 4,127 Nassau Reviews
We were dropped off at Pier 88 by a driving service. A dock worker took our luggage for us and the next time we saw it we were in our cabin. We were told how to get to the registration area, went through the scanners, a photographer from the ship took our picture and we were welcomed aboard by having our hands sprayed with Purell. Loved that about the NCL. "Washy-washy" every time you re-boarded or entered an eating establishment. I think thee entire process took about 30 minutes.
Very easy. Key card and photo ID. Went on airboat ride and a visit to Historic Village at Cocoa Beach. Enjoyed the airboat ride but too short. A shopping village is a shopping village, if you've seen one you've seen them all.
Published 02/24/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Jewel Review
Norwegian Jewel Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?