Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Kew Gardens Cruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Kew Gardens Cruiser
Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: Kew Gardens Cruiser
Cruise Date: February 2012
Cabin Category: E1

Liberty of the Seas 5 Night 02/13/12
Just returned from a terrific 5 night Western Caribbean Cruise on the beautiful Liberty of the Seas. My wife and I went on this cruise to celebrate my 40th birthday. This was the 2nd nicest ship I have been on in 10 cruises ( the best being the Allure of the Seas in May 2011)

Pre-cruise:

We stayed 1 night at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel. Very nice, clean hotel. Unfortunately they did not have our room ready until 4:00 even though we arrived around 11:00. There aren't really any dining options at this hotel other than China Grill and the poolside cafe. We checked our bags at the concierge and took the water taxi to the 15th Street Fishery for lunch. The hotel is right in front of the water taxi so we took advantage of the $20 per person all day rate. We used the water taxi again later in the day to go to the Galleria Mall and grab some dinner.

Embarkation: We arrived at the pier at 11:30 and we were on the ship by 11:45.

Stateroom: We had a corner AFT balcony (7408). The balcony was huge! Almost as big as the room itself. Definitely recommend the corner AFT balconies. We spent many afternoons enjoying the balcony and watching the wake of the ship.

Service: Service around the ship was top notch. Every one of the crew seemed to try to go "the extra mile". My only complaint was the drink service in the main dining room as my wife would order a coke every night and she wouldn't get it until we were almost finished with dinner. Service was also excellent the one night we ate at Chops

Food: We had a terrific dinner in Chops. Generally the food in the main dining room was also very good. There wasn't much variety in the Windjammer but the pizza in Sorrento's was also a great option for a quick lunch. We loved going to the Promenade Cafe every night for some sweets and a cappuccino.

Entertainment: This is the area IMO where RCI is much superior to the other lines I have been on ( Carnival, Princess). Saturday Night Fever and In the Air were terrific. Everyone had a blast at the 70's street party on the promenade. Unfortunately I missed the ice show but people were raving about it. The cruise director staff did a good job. I have seen some criticism of Mike Hunnerup on the CC Boards but he was one of the better CD's we have had in our 10 cruises.

Ship: The ship is very clean and still seems brand new. We really enjoyed the Solarium on the pool deck. We usually sit by the main pool but we fell in love with the super comfy cushioned chairs in the Solarium. As I mentioned earlier the Royal Promenade was a great place to hang out after dinner and people watch.

Ports of Call: We stopped at Labadee ( private island) and Falmouth, Jamaica. Thanks to the folks at cruise critic we learned that Columbus Cove is the place to be in Labadee if you want a quiet non rocky beach. You need to keep walking to the right and follow the signs to Columbus Cove when you get off of the ship. The beach at Labadee when you first get off ( I think it's Adrenaline Beach?) is very rocky and the waves were pretty big.

At Falmouth we did the Chukka Beach Break (without lunch). The cost was $29 per person and I thought it was a pretty good value. It's a private beach and they have 2 security guards on each side so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to harass you or try to sell you something.

Embarkation- this was a little bit of a mess. We carried our own luggage off. It took us nearly and hour to get off the ship and get through customs.

Overall we had a great time and we would definitely cruise on a Freedom Class Ship again.

Publication Date: 02/24/12