Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by cruzin_ga_gal: Love the Serenade!

cruzin_ga_gal
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Love the Serenade!

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We flew into SJU the day of the cruise. We were off the plane at 2pm and checked in and was in our JS by 3pm. Since we were late, there were no lines to check in. Just walked in to the first person in line and got to the ship. It was odd that we had to x-ray our carry on before getting on the ship, and once on board the ship they had another x-ray machine to recheck everyone's hand luggage again. It didn't slow us down any and we were able to go straight to our room.

Since we had first service in MDR, we opted to walk around the ship. As Diamond +, we learned that the concierge lounge was going to have their function at another venue due to capacity of D+ folks so we headed that way for 5. Victor was great and the main bartenders were even greater (wow could they make good drinks). What a great group of D+ we met that week. We had more fun there than anywhere.

MDR left a little to be desired. The food was good but for the first time, I have to say I More wasn't impressed with our waiter or head waiter. If it wasn't for the assistant waiter, I would have asked to be changed. The waiter could not get an order correct, and even brought the wrong wine. He head waiter only came back and asked repeatedly, "all okay? all okay?" then rushed away.The stateroom was big enough for the two of us for a week. The closet was big and a great place to store suitcases. All of our clothes fit either hanging or in the side cubbies. There was plenty of unused drawer space. There is a coffee maker in the room and our attendant was nice enough to give us extra packets for that first cup. We would then call room service to bring a full pot. Rooms service was quick and the coffee was always hot.

The casino, for those that like to gamble, is small. I found this to be one of the smallest of the RCCL ships. I wish that the slot machines would go to a paper (coinless) system. I played one machine that had a slot for the voucher to come out. I went to cash out and out came the quarters. If I had known that I would have had to deal with coins, I wouldn't have played. They do provide the hand wipes at the cashier, but they are behind the counter and you have to ask. Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Serenade of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 10 1076

JS is spacious with a walk in closet with side cubbies to put extra clothes. There are extra drawers in the vanity area as well, but for two people, we didn't need them. The bathroom is bigger with a tub, and some counter space. The balcony is large enough for two chairs and a table. Used to be you could have a lounge chair too, but we didn't have one. It was chilly at night sitting out side, but it is still the best place to go and unwind without any interruptions. Overall, the room was a good location and we had no complaints.

Cave Tour

(5)
Harrisons caves was interesting, but if you are expecting to see magnificent caves such as those in TN or in other parts of US, you will be disappointed. It was a nice drive to the caves and the guide was very informative.

Aerial Tram

(5.5)
Of course it rained, but it was still fun - after all it was the rain forest. I expected to see more birds but maybe it was the time of year that they weren't out. The guides were very knowledgeable of the different plants and trees.

Scenic Railway

(5)
We had taken the Scenic rail and sail excursion booked with RCCL. it was a pleasant train ride and we were able to see more of the island that is not seen from the major roadways. the Cataraman sail was also pleasant with an open bar. They added the nice touch of adding in a lunch which wasnt' expected. I'd recommend this tour and possibly do it again myself.

St Martaan/St Martin is another beautiful island. We had opted to go to Orient Bay and just lay on the beach. I noticed that peddlers are out more and becoming more pushy. I did find a nice shell nechlace for $10 that would have cost 4 times that in US at a craft show.

When we were docking, it was fun watching the dolphins playing in the bay. since we were scheduled for an afternoon tour, we got out and walked around some before we were to meet with our group. We had taken the Town & Country drive excusion booked through RCCL in Tortola to get an overall feel for the island since we hadn't been before. It is a beautiful island with many scenic overlooks. The only negative was that we were crowded and some otherwise beautiful pictures are of people unknown.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews