Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by whitewolf

Member Name: whitewolf
Cruise Date: November 2011
Cabin Category: MD

Huge ship - great service
Traveled with my brother and his wife. My husband is an Okie cowboy who's idea of vacation is to be aroudn no people up in the mountains. Luckingly I have good friends and family who enjoy traveling.

I'll give what I consider the bad about Epic first:

Stateroom: I upgraded to an aft balcony cabin after reading other reviews. Figured I'd give it a try. Was not impressed and would not spend the $$ to do that again. The stateroom itself was not as good as the 3 other cruises I've been on. Storage under the couch was a joke. Large metal bins that were hard to pull out and got off track. Bathrooms, as you will see from other reviews are definitly not good. The see-through glass is not my idea of fun when traveling with family. The pull curtain to block it off from the rest of the cabin was noisy, so if someone got up during the night and pulled the curtain they woke the others. Shower see though as well. I never took one shower the whole week in the cabin (showered in spa area). Garbage location is in another of those crummy metal bins under the sink. No coffee table and no light at end of couch by sliding door. I read each night before going to sleep. Since the only light was directly by the bed I couldn't do that because it would shine into my sister-in-laws eyes. I felt the cabin was by far the smallest of any of the other cabins I've had and the worst floor plan.

Spa: They definitely need floor mats throughout. The floor got extremely slippery and was very dangerous. The doors on the showers would not remain shut all the way. The coed steam room eucalyptus was so strong none of the 3 of us could stay in there longer than a couple of minutes and only tried a couple of times because it was so strong.

Entertainment: Blue Man Group was awful, awful, awful. If they hadn't made such a big deal of people coming in late we would have left early. It was one of those "Maybe it will get better" shows but it never did. I've been to some wierd shows but even Gallagher was better than this. To me it was something a teenage boy would think was cool, certainly not any adult I know. Legends in Concert: Lady Gaga? Seriously - that was bad and I actually felt sorry for the one guy did Elvis. No chocolate buffet or ice carving which was disappointing.

The Good:

You cannot tell there were that many people on the ship! Getting on and off the ship went fast and orderly. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get in for dinner. Nothing was ever packed or no place to sit or a long wait.

Cabin: our steward Rody Perez was fantastic!

Spa: Best deal on ship as far as I'm concerned. We all three paid the $119 ($199 for two) to have access to the spa area. Great place to relax, separate changing rooms with showers, sauna, restrooms, hot tubs. Coed area large with lots of recliners and even some outside on a small deck. Two coed saunas very nice and the above mentioned (in bad) steam room. As I said I took all my showers here. Will do this every cruise.

Entertainment: Second City was good and of course since it is Ad-Lib always different. There was a band that played in the Manhatten room and then also in Fat Cat that was very, very good. Not sure if they are regulars or not. Legends in Concert: the guy who did Steve Taylor was outstanding and I don't even care for Taylor.

Food: We only ate in a specialty restaurant once, Cagney's, excellent and worth it for one night. Rest of restaurants, especially Manatten room was very good food. Why pay extra, except for a treat one night?

Service: I was impressed with almost all the service throughout the ship. That many people, they do an outstanding job.

Publication Date: 02/24/12