Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by jppcrtt: Another Great Cruise aboard Summit

Another Great Cruise aboard Summit

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This is our second southern Caribbean cruise aboard Summit in as many years. We sailed this year on Jan 28th and visited different islands on this year.

We came back to Summit because we enjoyed our first cruise so much. The ship is smaller by today's standards but big enough to offer a lot of variety in places on board to visit and hang out. We are not the mob-scene types.

Last year we were accompanied by our twenty-something daughter and this year she joined us again and brought her cousin along. They had "a GREAT time!"

Having this direct comparison between the two cruises caused us to to have high expectations but also feel inclined to forgive the shake-down issues. As noted by other reviewers the water system failed once for a few hours leaving my niece to rinse her hair conditioner out with Evian. It was annoying at the time but is something we all laugh about now. The food service also struggled to get up to speed the first couple of nights but the More staff worked hard to get things smoothed out.

The staterooms were nicely redone. We had a Concierge Class veranda cabin on deck 8 and our daughter and niece had the inside cabin directly across the hall. This was great because we were exactly in the middle of the ship so we had very little ocean-motion while underway. I would say the only disappointment I had on the cruise was with the photographic service. At the end of the cruise I wanted to purchase a few of the photos they had taken. The prints they had were in 8x10 so I asked about getting a smaller size to fit in our photo album at home. I was originally quoted a price, somewhat hesitantly, by one of the staff that was $6.00 less per picture for the smaller prints. She then excused herself to get the photo manager. He came over and asked, in shock, why I would want a smaller size. When I explained it he then told me they would be the same price no mater 8x10 or smaller! This crossed the offensive gouging line for me and I told him to keep the pictures. Unfortunate results for both of us! I think they should include the boarding picture with your booking and agree with "jazzbeau" that the rest of the time they were pushy and annoying. Especially when in port. Our cabin was on the pier side in all the ports and we could hear the photographers and assistants always making a tremendous amount of noise trying to get people to pose with the guy in the dolphin or turtle suite before going ashore! Who's great idea is that on a ship full of adults! Cruisers that want cartoon character friendships book on Disney and no one can out Disney Disney! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Continental Deck (2) 8071

Great quiet center ship location. Comfortable size for two and a bit close with three because of the room the pull-out bed takes. Love the veranda. Comfortable bed.

This is a poor island. Not much in the way of beaches. It has a tropical rain forest and boasts some nice scenic walks. The best thing for us was watching the constantly forming multiple rainbows from our cabin veranda. Very beautiful island viewed from sea.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Enjoyed our visit.
Read 357 Grenada Reviews

Went to the beach and had a great day!

Catamaran Tour

(5)
Leeward Island Charters - The crew was wonderfully helpful and fun. The cookout on Nevis was great fun.

We taxied over to Megan's Cove beach and had a great time relaxing under the palms, eating at the beach bar and grille and having boat drinks delivered on the beach. To quote my favorite singer "That's what livin' is to me!"
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews