Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by therookie: First time with kids

Family & Children 4.5

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First time with kids

Sail Date: January 2012

This was my 4th cruise (3rd with Royal), and probably the least enjoyable of them all. That's not to say it wasn't fun, it was just hard to compare to the others.

We are 2 mid-30's adults, and we were travelling with a 6 year old and an 11 year old.

The Liberty of the Seas was a nice ship - not great, just nice. Nothing to complain about at all. It was well taken care of, clean, and spacious without seeming overly large (being the second-largest class of ship in the world, that's a positive).

Our last Royal Caribbean cruise was on Jewel, which, in my opinion, is a much nicer ship and a better size. (my first cruise was on Sovereign in the early 2000's, at which point it was already vastly outdated, both in size and in decor).

This was the first suite (okay, it was a Junior Suite...!) that we had sailed in, and we were pleasantly surprised at the space. We were not expecting much more than a regular balcony stateroom with a couple of extra sq. ft., so More when we first opened that door, we were overjoyed at all the extra space. Plenty enough for a family of 4.

The ports were Falmouth, Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti. We had been to Labadee before, and as there were 2 ships in port this time, it was extremely overcrowded. Forget about the free lunch when there is more than one ship in port, unless you like to stand in long lines. Otherwise, there are enough beaches and entertainment to cater to the masses.

Our day in Falmouth was unbelievably windy, so that sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of it. Otherwise, the port is rather nice (though artificial) and RC has done a good job of building it up.

My two complaints with Falmouth are that you have to run the gauntlet of people hawking their wares, and they don't let up. There is no such thing as browsing, as you will be accosted by countless numbers of people trying to sell you whatever.

The other huge issue I had is that, if you look like the type, you WILL be accosted constantly by guys trying to sell you the stuff.

The Dreamworks "Experience" was quite good, for the kids. Otherwise, you hardly notice it. I was expecting a bit more, but they do have to balance the line between "too much" and "not enough". I'm thinking it was in the "not enough" category, but that's just me.

Overall, we all had a good time, and this type of cruise (and ship in particular) is highly recommended if you are bringing the kids. We likely would have had fun if it was just us, but we tend to be a little more low-key, so some of the other ships suit us better. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>