Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Patti McGrath: Great Time!

Patti McGrath
0 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Time!

Sail Date: January 2012

Just got back from Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Liberty. We were a little concerned about the cruise after reading the reviews here, but we didn't run into any of these issues.

We thought the food was pretty good -- but we're not foodies either. We ate in both the buffet, dining room, Guys, Fish & chips, Pizza and Mexican. No lines or waiting. Loved Guys cheese burgers & fries -- YUM! Loved the 24 hr soft ice cream! Dinner in the dining room was very good -- especially the lobster night. Deserts weren't the best, but we loved the warm chocolate cake -- with two scoops of chocolate ice cream! I had steak twice and each time it was very good. And the fish was always good. Fish & chips and the pizza were ok -- not great but the other food was so good it didn't matter. And don't get too excited about the chocolate extravaganza -- cruises just can't seem to figure out how to do chocolate!

The fitness center is outstanding! Only crowded on the first More day, but other than that it had plenty of cardio machines and enough weight machines to keep the lbs's at bay! Only the outdoor track is a little weak . . .very small. Took us about 30 seconds to do one lap, so it got boring fast . . . plus the wind up there is pretty hard to even walk against.

We had an interior room and it was good. We like them, because they're dark and it's easy to sleep. About what you'd expect on a cruise -- but we don't cruise to sit in our room.

The ports were just ok. Belize was very disappointing -- couldn't even walk a block outside the standard port shops without being pestered by local beggars. Turned around and went back to the ship! Cozumel was just ok -- no beach close enough to walk to which is disappointing. Pleasantly surprised by Roatan. There's a great little beach right next to the port where you can sit on a lounge chair on the beach, swim, snorkel and relax on a beach. Unfortunately it absolutely poured that day! Grand Cayman was our favorite! We finally got a beautiful day, the beach was a half hour walk and was beautiful white sand and blue water. Can't wait to go back!

The entertainment was awesome. We didn't do the big shows, but the adult comedians were great! We also enjoyed the piano man -- once. And the rock band in the casino was the best! Also enjoyed Chris!

Maybe because it was off season, but we had no problem getting lounges on the deck.

So the biggest disappointment is the wireless. I needed to be online to work but the wireless on the Liberty -- when it worked -- was painfully slow and ridiculously expensive. Complained the first 2 times when I couldn't log out and got my time reinstated, but when it took me 15 minutes just trying to connect to Msft Exchange so I could download my emails was the last straw. When I asked for a refund because for $50 all I got was 3 emails I was told I would be charged $20. So I complained to guest services and was told they couldn't do anything because they contract wireless services. Are you kidding me??!! So what! I was so mad -- and unfortunately this had the potential to ruin what was otherwise a very fun cruise. Figure it out Carnival!

So if you don't need Internet -- definitely go on this cruise! We had a great time. Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Interior Empress

Accommodated our needs. Bed was a little hard, but my husband loved it!

Nothing to do if you don't do an excurtion. Walking to town is scary. Stay on the boat!

No beaches within walking distance. Same old shops as the other ports.
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

Loved the Grand Cayman. 30 minute walk to a beautiful beach with white sand and blue water. Nice town with lots of fun shops.

Great beach with lounges, nice sand and gentle waves. It poured so we didn't get to enjoy it.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews