Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Edward J Kelley: A wonderful Cunard experience

Compare Prices on Queen Victoria Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

A wonderful Cunard experience

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America

This was my first QV trip although I am a Diamond Cunard World Club member. In the recent past most of my Cunard trips have been on QM2. I was extremely satisfied with this QV experience and found that it was in most respects superior to QM especially is the areas of food and service. The ship is beautiful, and although full handled the crowds well with many small spaces to "get away", read etc. The decor is beautiful, mostly in a Victorian fashion, with much Cunard memorabilia etc.

On this trip Americans were a minority being outnumbered by citizens of the "British empire", along with French, Japanese, Chinese etc.

Embarkation was easy, cabins ready when we got aboard, early luggage delivery, very comfortable staterooms, with the exception of an overly small bath and limited shelf storage for belongings.

Food in the Britannia Dining Room was excellent as was service. As an American I wished that there were fewer formal nights - 4, and that "elegant casual" More didn't mean "suitcoat required"; however others dress up more than we. I must say that very few attempted to violate the evening dress code and they were shunted off to the Lido.

The trip thru the Canal was fine, Pacific ports in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cost Rica and Mexico were as they always are - which is to say "not much"; however most people were there for the Canal passage, I was there for the extensive "sea days" and a beautiful ship.

We arrived at Los Angeles on time and as so often happens ran into difficulties with our overly aggressive ICE personnel who refused to clear the ship until many were delayed in their transfers etc. O well - you learn to expect it with ICE.

A very enjoyable trip with Cunard; however unfortunately neither QV nor QE will be making hardly any cruises from US ports in 2012-13. Too bad. Less

Published 02/21/12