Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by lcmslady: Great week on the Solstice!

lcmslady
Member Since 2008
1,100 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean Cruises

Great week on the Solstice!

Sail Date: January 2012

This was my 9th cruise, 5th on Celebrity but first on an S-class ship. This was not an itinerary that thrilled me but this cruise was mostly about going somewhere warm in January and experiencing an S-class ship.
I sailed with my step-dad and a couple that we met on the Summit last year.
The ship is beautiful and well-maintained.
Someone thought about passenger flow when they designed this ship. The pool is on a different deck than the Buffet area. You don't have to walk through the casino to get from dinner to a show or vice versa.
We had an inside cabin on the 10th deck. After being used to lower decks where it's easier to get to activities, I don't know that we liked being up so high. However, with the way they are designing the newer ships, there aren't many cabins on those decks.
The food was good, we had excellent service and thought the wine tower in the MDR was amazing.
The only specialty restaurant we ate in was Bistro on Five. For a $5 charge, More we got really good crepes and service.
Our cabin stewards were mediocre. Nice enough gentlemen but they forgot to clean the room one evening. No biggie and we certainly didn't say anything to anyone. The couple we were with never even saw theirs.
The Hot Glass Show is absolutely amazing - I went to just about every one of them and probably took more picture there than anywhere else.
I also thought that there were more interesting activities than on the M-class but maybe that's just me.
The shows that I went to were well-done but I was usually at the Hot Glass show :).
We also did a special tour of the bridge that they offer for $75 per person. A small group is taken to the bridge when the ship leaves a port. This was fascinating and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Disembarkation was ridiculous. This was not Celebrity's fault - I blame this entirely on the port and Customs. From the time we got off the ship, it was over an hour to get through the customs line and we were one of the last groups off the ship. The line ran down the outside of the warehouse and moved at a snails pace. We got our luggage quickly but then had to fight our way into another long line to clear customs. The port knows how many ships are going to be disembarking on any given day so they should know how to staff. Maybe I've gotten spoiled by sailing out of San Juan but I'll definitely think twice about sailing into Ft. Lauderdale again.
I would sail this class again if the itinerary and disembarkation port were different.
Don't know that I'll sail on anything bigger than this but it was a very manageable size ship and the only time it felt crowded was on disembarkation day when everyone is trying to eat breakfast at the same time.
Overall, we had a great time on a beautiful ship! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>