Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by roseandjohn: 15 days of a Circus

15 days of a Circus

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

This was the most disorganized cruise we have ever been on. This was our 6th cruise and definitely the most disorganized. It seems you don't care (Carnival) you have our money. This was our first Carnival cruise and it was more like a Circus than a Carnival cruise, it was not ready to disembark.
Let me begin: Departure what a joke! 4-5 hrs to get on the boat while we watched the Holland America passengers walk right on to their ship. We had no explanation just it will be just a little bit longer and when we did get on board, we watched from our balcony them loading luggage and provisions that sat on the dock all day on to the ship until 11pm. The 1st time cruisers lost the excitement and fun of leaving the harbor because it was so late, they will never get this back, thank you Carnival! Like I said no info why we were departing so late other than the ship was previously at dry dock. Next, the water slide. What a joke! I hope you know how many children and families you More disappointed. Stu the cruise director telling us everyday, maybe tomorrow and then we had to watch them film promotion for the slide, the only mock that it worked for the Australian's. Stu even told us they had to cover all the construction stuff, paint and bare steel laying around the deck for the filming advertisement. We weren't even aloud to get up on that area of the ship due to all the stuff unfinished. Then there was getting on and off the ship at each Port, again what a joke have you never done this before? 2 hours to get back on at Hilo and we weren't waiting till the last minute. Tender day was even worse, we spent 2 hours waiting in the sun for the last departure at 4:15pm and we were the last boat and it was 6pm. Then there was the shore excursions. The cruise line recommends you go through them to guarantee getting back on the ship but they were not what we expected. Volcano park, we only got 1/2 hour view time and had to miss the second stop due to construction. So we rode 1 1/2 hour each way for 30 minutes of viewing, thank god our buss driver was very informative of the area. North shore and Pearl harbor, another joke. Excursion didn't mention North shore was a drive by, thank god we stopped at Dole Factory to go shopping. Maui, it was whale watching time but no excursions through the ship were offered. We elected to go on our own and was the best trip of all. We had to hurry back of course so we could do the Luau but the ship should offer that type of tour since it is the same area that we had to go back to the ship, get on the bus for the Luau and go back to were we just came from. The food was fine but disappointed shrimp cocktail and escargot is only offered on the nights they were listed and you couldn't get them on other nights. They are available nightly in the Steak House. Steak House is Superb for an additional $30.00 per person.Overall food was ok to good but not much of a selection. Then their was the washer/dryers that didn't work. We went to guest services and they told me to try deck 1 & 4 but we waited over 2 hours. When we went back, guest services said they were not accepting anymore complaints on the matter. Not able to wait I was forced to used the laundry available for $15.00 per small bag through the Cruise. Shows overall most were good, hey something was right. 2 entertainers made our experience, Guy and Doug. Drink prices are out of control, $7.06 for a beer, price gauging, I think!
The balcony is our favorite on a Cruise and Carnival decides to pressure was on our way back so we cant even have access to it from 9am - 1pm but everything was soaked up to 3pm. This should of been done at a port of call when everyone is off the ship.Disembarking was a joke. We had our luggage taken to a bus but we were in line as directed by Carnival personnel. My sister in law went to check where the porter put it and it was being placed on a bus and none of us were with it. Thank god we were able to pull off before that would of been unclaimed. Thank god we are off, this was the first time I wanted to go back to work.
Now the good things:
Room Stuart top of the line. Wait staff table 274 excellent. Bartenders knew you day 2 and also the Casino dealers.
The 2 entertainers I mentioned earlier, Doug in the Casino and Guy in the Atrium, Carnival owes them big time. They calmed down a lot of very "PO" cruisers. These gentlemen were the best that we ever experienced even from the other ships. They made us forget about all the down falls. We also met some good people which I think we will have friendships a long time coming. Now that we are home, I see the Internet had others with pretty much the same experience so you know this wasn't made up, it is true and when I called Carnival they said there was nothing they would do. When I read some reviews off the Internet, people claim they received perks and ship credits for their problems. I was told at guest services they were not accepting anymore complaints and that a questionnaire would be mailed out. Well that's a bit late now! We are currently booking our 2nd Alaskan trip Sept 1st and since Carnival will not talk to us at all, this trip will be with Princess.
Carnival has successfully scared us away. Since we are multi trip guests, you are the ones who lost. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Verandah 7252

Great Balcony over life boats, that was comforting.

(2)
Volcano National Park. Tour through ship was a lot of driving 3 hours for 30 minutes of viewing. Bus driver was very informative of area.
Read 271 Hilo Reviews

Excursion, Pearl Harbor and North Shore. Pearl Harbor emotional for us but North Shore was a joke. I thought we were at least getting out to see the big waves not a drive by. We did stop for lunch at a ranch but I chose to go to the water instead. Wasn't North Shore but down a ways.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

Did Helicopter tour over the island. Very beautiful
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

Had to do Tender and we waited for ever for boats, Did snorkel it was amazing.
Read 166 Kona Reviews

(5.5)
This is the island of choice. Whales were every wheres and nice beaches.
Read 265 Maui Reviews