Carnival Dream Cruise Review by zuk_74: Carnival Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Dream

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Before I give my review you should understand who is giving it.

1. Male, 37, 1st cruise
2. worked in hospitality for 13 years 8 in management
3. went with 2 other couples

Here we go.

1: It is a large ship. It carries many people! At times some events/disembarks and such will be busy. Most of the time if I wanted to be in an area during busy times it was not an issue. Though if you are going to a popular event plan on going early and have a cocktail. Most of the time it was never so busy it was unbearable. More to come on this below.

2: Events on ship. We went to some of the events, most of which are well attended. Most of which were worth going to. I wont comment on specific attractions that would take to long. But I was never disappointed. ok, well the length of the comedy show was a bit short, alas I'm over it.

3: Gambling. Did not play any slots, no comment. table games, mostly for fun, kick around some money to find a More winning streak. Dont expect to win too much due to table limits. Texas hold'em is no limit at a computerized table. It plays well and makes it easy for a novice player to sit. but it is easy to keep putting cash on your account (if you were losing).

4: Drinks. I purchased 2 liters of a favorite alcholic beverage from Bon Voyage (so did another couple we traveled with) in advance of our trip. This helped keep costs low(er). But the "girly" drinks were $7.50 on up. Some were ok, some were good, and a few were just bad. To each their own on this one. They carried plenty of different beers/spirits to accomodate most palates.

5. Embark/boarding. Wow, pretty quick, mostly painless. I think the whole process took us 45 minutes. Thats arrival from bus to done with the photos and ready to buy a beer :) I thought that was spectacular! I expected longer, what a pleasant suprise.

6. Disembark/leaving the ship. For our final disembark, WOW again! We kept our luggage in our room, and when we were ready for leaving the ship we were off in 25 minutes. Super quick, we were disappointed we didnt stay for breakfast on the Dream. We could have made a flight at MCO for 10:30AM. Not recommended, but we didnt leave our room until 7:45AM. Do the math, it was quick!

6a. For ports of call. Most of the time it was busy and the hallways were crowded up the stairs to the 2nd level at least. However once the line started to move it was 10-15 minutes to get off the ship. IMO not too bad. 1 piece of advice. For Belize where you take tenders (little boats) to shore, book a Carnival sponsored excursion as it appears you get preferental treatment off the ship. That was nice! others in our group did not book an excursion on this port and said it took "some time" to get off.

7. Rooms. Not large, but large enough. We had a balcony, loved it. I'm guessing any large person on any ship would say the rooms are small, but being 5'8" 190, I was fine. Shower again for me was fine, but larger persons will complain of size. Shower had excellent power and heat at all times.

8. Staff. AMAZING!! No kidding, our rooms were always in great shape. We had a few servers that we always found or waited for, well worth it. Mario in the sunset bar & grille (AFT 10) was our favorite. We more often than not would show up with a drink from another area, but he still made sure to stop by and ensure we were taken care of. He was fantastic, but we were never let down by anyone.

9. Dining. Again I have worked in hospitality for sometime. The buffet was less than I expected. I think there is room for improvement. Overall it was okay. Dining ( Crimson) was good. I was surprised here. I guess I recommend eating here when available. The Tandori was well received AFT 10. The other simple dining areas were good enough, room to improve, sure, of course, but not too bad. The Steakhouse was solid, nothing to complain about here, its worth a $30p/p to dine nice at least once.

lastly I'm sure I have missed many review points, but these were a few I found worth commenting on. NO spellcheck was done, sorry. Hope this helps in making your decision. IMO I would do this ship again without reservation. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Vista 9256

9256 Balcony 8-D ( I believe) no issues with general noise, just neighbors who are way too loud at the wrong times. Nothing wrong with the room IMO. Very good location.

Clean, pretty, much more than we expected. Everyone was very helpful and excited to see us or just wave hello. (we did a 4x4, jungle exploration through many little towns, very fun.)

didnt do much, didnt care to, wasnt too much to see. Took about an hour to walk around then went back to the Dream for fun on the boat. This should not be a knock on this port, I was just in no mood for my last port of call where we had no excursion booked (3 excursions in 3 days this was our 4th port in 4 days).

Jeep Tour

(5.5)
We really enjoyed this. 4 bars all with food service. We ordered food at 3 of the bars. Not a bad bite anywhere. Will do again. Good beautiful places. Tour guides were native American's so it was easy to understand them.

We did the Victor Bodden Zip Line and Monkey experience. Not to lie, I was expecting more height through the jungle area. I was not expecting any James Bond like experience, but a little more than what was offered. I'm not a true thrill seeker, but will have fun with what I can. That being said, what was there was pretty fun, and for the rest of the group that I was with, they were very satisfied. If I were to guess at most your 40-50 feet off the ground. The long spans were really fun (575ft). I'm guessing for most people this tour will be plenty satisfying. If Victor isnt around the tour guides let loose and have some fun, and they didnt care if I followed suit. So hanging upside down, swirling round & round, doing my best superman were all part of the fun, for me! :) The animal part was included with the zip line adventure. You get to enter the cages with spider monkeys (favorite) and parrots of different sorts, and then view other native species. This was pretty cool also. After our tour they took us to a beach that was pretty full, there was some good food available! Just stay off the beach, those pesky vultures will attack with all guns blazing to sell some of their wares. Really not too bad, just annoying.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews