Grand Princess Cruise Review by Life _in_alaska: A Wonderful Week on the Grand Princess

Life _in_alaska
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A Wonderful Week on the Grand Princess

Sail Date: February 2012

With an unusually cold winter in Alaska, we decided to do our first cruise. I wasn't sure how the bidding wars went on websites, so I did the safe thing and booked directly with Princess. They were great to work with and answered any questions I had along the way. We booked the shuttle pickup at Miami (that's where Alaska Airlines lands) with Princess & were picked up right away and taken to the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel (associated with Princess). We had a wonderful beach view and nice infinity pool to swim in and beach walks along the sand--to get us unwound from the -60 temps we came from.

We were loaded on a bus and embarkation went very quickly, hardly a line. Then we were on our first cruise ship! Our Mini-suite was a good space. My 6'1" husband could stretch out on the couch, had a coffee table and a chair. The balcony had very nice reclining chairs with stools that we used quite a bit. For this trip, our Dolphin Port side cabin was great to watch the More ports of call come by us. Beautiful views off our balcony. The bathroom had plenty of space to store the necessities on shelves and under the sink. The closet and shelves for clothes, again, plenty of space and I had 2 huge suitcases of clothes (and one for shoes :) George, our room steward, came and went cleaning up and adding towels and ice. He served us a glass of champagne when we arrived and quietly did a great job all week. All staffing we saw and talked to said a friendly hello and some stopped to chat a little.

Went to a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. It was so nice seeing the folks who had been on the chat board. Nice folks and some of the crew was in attendance. Thanks Barb for setting this up!

We had anytime dining and really liked it. We ate each night at Michael Angelos. On the first night we had Bebe, our head waiter. He was wonderful for me, as I have severe shrimp, crab, lobster allergies and have a very difficult time dining with cross contamination in the kitchens. Bebe worked with me each meal and I didn't have one allergy issue! He suggested wonderful wine and the food was always good. I wouldn't say excellent, but very good. We also had Pizza at Alfredo's and it was excellent.

We loved the deli with the desserts and had tea served to us in the Atrium in the evenings. Internet access was sooooo slow. I bought a package, but was so annoyed with it, didn't use it all.

Entertainment was quite good. It has to be difficult to put on a production like they do. Billy Hygate was the Cruise Director and his sidekick Dave, I think. Both were a lot of fun.

As far as bands, Opus played the Sail Away, which was fun on deck. Opus was a great party band with great songs. We went to a deck party and tons of people were dancing, went to a 50's/60's dance in Explorers and they had everybody dancing. Just made for a great time and we haven't danced for a few years.

Last stop was Princess Cays. I thought we'd be bored, but we got a clam shell (get one!) and laid in the shade and cooled off in the water all day. It was a nice day to end our trip.

Overall, cruising is different than what we are use to. We fly and drive all over the place (Europe, New Zealand, Hawaii, etc) I probably won't be the once a year cruiser, but I will definitely cruise again. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck D604

This cabin was in a great spot. Midship so you don't feel the rolls so much and not too high up. This is Port side and we saw most places coming into port off our balcony. Not noisy, great cabin.

Took the bus trip into San Juan to the Fort then the town. I would not take any trips at San Juan. Just walk, bus didn't give us much time and it was rushed. I would have liked to have had a drink on a side street and just look around. The Fort was interesting and had great views.
Read 1378 San Juan Reviews

At St. Martin we took the 12 meter sail boat races excursion. They were so much fun!! Everyone had a job and it was a great. I would really suggest you think about this trip if you are in your 60's and younger. Might be a little much in your 70's. Went to Chesterfields Restaurant for lunch and a Carib beer and it was ok. I You-tubed this event and you can see what they do. "America's Cup 12-Metre" Yacht Race.

Snorkeling

(5)
At St Thomas, the view coming into Port is wonderful. Sailboats all over. We took the Turtle Bay Snorkel and lunch trip - 6 hours. We were on the Dancing Dolphin Catamaran. It was a very fun day, beautiful weather. Strong rum drinks.... Saw lots of turtles, not so much fish. I'm use to snorkeling in Hawaii and they were far fewer on this trip. Lunch on the beach was a great BBQ with pork, chicken, burgers.