Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Borgopass: Winter Getaway

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Winter Getaway

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

One of the reasons we selected this cruise was because it was out of Bayonne, so we didn't have to worry about taking any airplanes. In fact, it was a very short ride from our house to the pier. Embarkation went smoothly and lasted maybe a half hour. You had to take a bus from the processing area to the ship, which was no problem. We learned from another passenger that Celebrity became 'disenchanted' with the facilities at this pier and will cease cruises after the fall.
We had previously been on Silhouette's sister ships Solstice and Equinox, so we knew the layout of the ship already. One disappointment involved the elimination of the glass blowing feature that is on the other ships. My wife and I really loved our cabin on deck three since it was almost midway between the theater & the restaurant. We were close to the shore excursions desk that is right next to one of the main entertainment spots on the ship. At almost anytime we could stroll out of our stateroom More and walk down the hall and enjoy the ship's guitarist, classical music duet, the steel drum duet and the main band that came on at night that played a variety of music with a great deal of gusto.
The nightly entertainment on the Silhouette was the best we've seen on any ship. The core entertainers of singers and dancers were superb and the other acts were great too including; pianist Antonio Salci, impressionist Steven Scott and others. For the first time in eight cruises I skipped a dinner in the main dining hall to watch the 49er's - Giants game. Who sits next to me but the entertainer, Steven Scott. He was wearing a football Jersey and nobody seemed to notice him, and I didn't say anything till halftime when I asked his name and then said, "You were on last night, right?" He smiled and said he was glad to be able to watch the game. Anyway, it was a lot of fun watching the whole game with him along with hundreds of other shipmates who were all going wild over the Giants that night.
The food on the ship was excellent, which included breakfast & lunch in the Ocean View Cafe & dinner in the main dining hall. The grill on deck 14 did a fine job with burgers & hot-dogs. It's a tossup, but Holland America might have the edge over Celebrity on the subject of food, but I was happy with the dining experience on this ship. Also, our server & assistant server at dinner did a tremendous job of doing everything possible to make sure we always had a wonderful dinner every night.
The ship was steady and beautiful and despite its 1,047 foot length, we never felt like we were walking forever to get from one side of the ship to the other. The outdoor swimming pools and the enclosed pool were fine, though we favored the indoor one slightly.
The first stop was my favorite, St Thomas/Virgin Islands. We went to Sapphire Beach and had a blast snorkeling right near shore where we saw many beautiful fish swimming near some isolated rocks and the reef. Orient Beach at St. Martens was very nice as was the beach at St. Lucia. At St. Kitts, we went on a brief tour to see some gardens, but were disappointed with the beach part of the excursion because the beach was loaded with pebbles and rocks since it was volcanic.
When it was over, I felt this was definitely one of the best cruises I'd ever been on and I would highly recommend taking a cruise on the Silhouette. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Oceanview Stateroom Plaza Deck (3)

Our cabin was an ocean-view on deck 3 which was slightly forward on the starboard, (right) side. This was a very quiet area and we had no disturbances of any kind and since it was fairly close to the middle of the ship we had a smooth trip with the exception of the 2ND night which was fairly rocky due to heavy seas, but even that wasn't too bad. Also, the cabin was very strategically situated for easy access to many important areas on decks 3 & 4 such as; the theater, the dining room, guest relations, shore excursions, the casino, shops, etc. The cabin had a very comfortable king sized bed and sufficient space for clothing. Our steward was extremely efficient and promptly took care of anything we needed.