Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by hkcruiser2012: First Cruise....Perfect Get away!

hkcruiser2012
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First Cruise....Perfect Get away!

Sail Date: January 2012

This was my families first cruise ever. We selected the Oasis of the seas because we had heard from other friends that this was the best ship to go on if you are afraid of sea sickness. While my group was lucky enough not to suffer from this, I want to put out there that while I read other reviews state that you can not feel the motion of the ship....that is wrong! You can definitely feel it moving. While we did have some rather windy days at sea, even calm waters you know it's moving. I took dranamine every day not knowing what the sea was going to be like. Having now sailed the largest ship in the world, I don't think I will be going on any other ship or cruise line because Royal Caribbean made it impossible for the experience to be any better! From beginning to end they made the trip so easy and care free.
Starting with Embarking:
So easy!! There are signs telling you exactly where to go, the lines were supper short, and they keep the crowd moving. We arrived at the ship More around noon thinking it might be too early to board, but there were plenty of people already there boarding. We kind of worried about leaving our suitcases outside on the street with only 2 guys watching them, but they arrived at our staterooms a couple hours later.
The Food:
Incredible! We reserved My-time dining. I would definitely recommend doing this so that you don't have to wait in lines if you want to use the dining room every night. There were nights where the lines were getting quite long. I don't know how long the people had to wait. I loved that our waiter was the same every night. There were 2 nights where my sister and I did not go to the dining room because of mid-day snacking and our waiter asked several times the rest of our party where we were and if we alright and if they could do something better if the reason was we didn't enjoy the dining room. There are plenty of choices at the dining room each night. If you can't decide between some of the options, they bring you both. There were several nights where we couldn't decide about which desert to get, and the waiter didn't even ask or hesitate....he brought them all for us to try!
For the rest of the places, we really enjoyed the WindJammer for breakfast and lunches. The Wipe Out cafe was really nice for those mid afternoon snacks. And the random ice cream machines on the pool decks were the best! We did not try any of the restaurants where you had to pay extra. We felt that what was provided for free was good enough. Sorento's pizza was okay....not my favorite. Park cafe gave some nice healthy choices. The Royal Promenade cafe had the best chocolate chip cookies ever!
Entertainment:
We saw a show each night to see them all. Hairspray was a must see! However it is quite loud.....so don't sit too close! The comedy show was okay, not my favorite. The Aqua theatre show was very good. However if you've seen a Cirque show, you might be kind of disappointed. Come Fly with me was probably my favorite. The night we went to Come Fly with me though, they were having some technical problems, so they had to cancel the show and have it at a different time. Thankfully we had another day at sea we could go see it because it's definitely a must see! Overall, the entertainment team on this ship are really talented!

Other:
Our stateroom attendant was really great! He would come clean in the morning and at night. When he came at night he would make towel animals and leave an itinerary and chocolate on our bed. The itinerary's were really nice to have and we found ourselves looking forward to them every night. In them it gives the hours for places open the next day, and a run down of activities around the ship. I also liked that on the t.v in your stateroom, there is a channel that tells you where you where the ship is and how fast it's going. The days at sea you have no idea where you are and it's nice to look on the t.v. and know what track we were taking.
We had a ocean view balcony stateroom. I would recommend this to anybody! It was so nice waking up in the morning and going out on our balcony. Also at night it is really nice and staring at the stars.
I was told that with a ship as big as it is, it doesn't feel like there are 6,000+ people on it....and for the most part I would have to agree. However the days at sea, it is hard to find chairs on the pool decks, meal times are crowded, and show if you don't get there early you won't find a seat sitting with the rest of your party. With people from all over the world going on this ship, there are language barriers and I got tired of everybody being so pushy and rude. The staff of the ship were great, some of the other people cruising with us were really rude. It was also hard sometimes to get an elevator. We found ourselves climbing the stairs a lot just to avoid the wait.
The gym facilities were great! A little crowded all the time, but we never had to wait for a machine. I really liked the outside track going around the ship.

The ports of call were great! Although I wish we could have stayed in the Bahamas a little longer. But to get to St. Thomas in time the next day, we had to leave at 3. The thing that kind of annoyed me was that they tell you you're going to port at a certain time, but then they don't let you off the ship for another hour. So in the Bahamas we had an excursion right away in the morning for Atlantis, and we wanted to get going because we had to be back on the ship at 2:30 but they wouldn't let us off until 8 or 8:30. It makes for everything to run behind schedule. I realize they have to get clearance to let us off, but it makes you have to shorten up your excursions because of it. They also canceled one of my parents excursions with no explanation. They re-booked another similar excursion automatically without even asking....which I guess is okay, but it was one that was half the price so they didn't get to see as much as they were hoping.

Disembarking:
Super easy! We chose to keep all our luggage with us since we had to get to the airport right away. No trouble at all! The immigration officers on land were really unpleasant people, but that had nothing to do with Royal.

Overall I would recommend this ship to everybody! I can't foresee myself or my family going on any other ship because Royal set the bar really high. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 12184

(5.5)
My favorite island! My sister and I decided to go to the Atlantis water park since we had seen so many commercials about it. Since we are from Minnesota and go to Wisconsin Dells annually, Atlantis is nothing to brag about. The slides are okay, not as good as what you find in Wisconsin Dells. I liked that they have their own beach though, and we spent a lot of time on the beach. I also really liked their lazy river. It's not lazy at all! You have to pay attention to where you're going! It's quite fun though! The only thing I didn't like was that we didn't have enough time on the island. To make it to St. Thomas in time, we had to be back on the ship at 2:30 in the afternoon.
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

Our excursion on this island was a tour of a rum factory, a perfumery, and a French cooking demonstration. The rum factory was not a factory. They simply bought rum and flavored it. We got a taste of every kind they flavor, but at 8 in the morning, you get a little tipsy if you try everything. The perfumery was very informative. They had great scents and we even got to make one ourselves. The French cooking demonstration was okay as well. It showed us what they like to eat on the island. We spent the rest of the day shopping. They have great places to shop on the island. I wish we would have had time to go to Maho beach, but because of the excursion we choose, it didn't allow us enough time.

Schooner Tour

(5.5)
We did turtle snorkeling at turtle cove. This was a lot of fun, but not very long. We were unaware when we booked that it takes an hour boat ride to get to turtle cove. When you get there, you are not allowed on the island because it is U.S. protected. So you are either in the water, or on the boat in rough seas. The snorkeling itself was really fun, however they told us that the water is the saltiest around St. Thomas for some reason. But we did get to see a quite a lot of turtles and see some very tropical fish and coral reefs.