Eurodam Cruise Review by phoenixPHXjrb: One of the best cruises I've taken

phoenixPHXjrb
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 3.3

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

One of the best cruises I've taken

Sail Date: January 2012

This was my first cruise on Holland America, but have been on 5 all together; 2 on Royal Caribbean, 1 on NCL, and 1 on Celebrity, and this recent one on Holland America m/s Eurodam. I traveled with my brother and parents who haven't been on Holland either. This cruise was one of the best out of the 5. The ship was beautiful with a lot to do. This cruise ship has a night club and casino, but not as big on partying as Royal Caribbean and NCL. This cruise was more relaxed and laid back.

The embarkation was very smooth and organized. We rented a car prior to embarkation and returned it to a nearby rental car drop off. The offered a free shuttle to the cruise terminal which saved us cab fares. We got to the terminal at about 1:30 and there wasn't a huge line. We were on the ship by 2 and in our room within 30 minutes.

Our stateroom was very nice with a spacious bathroom with a tub. This was nice, because it wasn't a phone booth style shower like Royal More Caribbean has on their ships. The room was spacious as well as the balcony. The room had a refrigerator, safe, and a big closet with decent storage space. All the furniture was comfortable and there was no problems. Towards the end of the cruise, our A/C wasn't working right. But they fixed it in no time and everything was back to normal. Our stateroom attendants were the best we've ever had! They were excellent and everything was made up all the time.

We had the open seating dining in the main dining room. It was good because you could go whenever and you weren't rushed, but I wouldn't recommend it. Having your own waiter is nicer because they keep you posted on what's going on around the ship. We missed a lot of the memos and having a waiter will change that. The dining on this cruise was excellent! There was plenty of varieties of food in the dining room and in the Lido buffet. I love mexican food, and past cruises didn't have it, but this one did! The food in the dining room was the best iv'e ever had and the Lido buffet was really good. What was good about the buffet food was that everything is made to order and fresh and nothing sits out all day. It was still very good. Also, HAL allows you to bring alcohol on board. You will have to pay a corking fee for wine, but you save a lot of money anyway.

The activities were good and it seemed like it was kid friendly, but NCL has more activities than this one did. There was a basketball court that me and my brother went to every day and there were two pools on board, one Lido deck aft, one midship. There was also other good activities and shows as well including a really good magic show. There was a good fitness center (but really crowded), a casino, night club (northern lights), and much more. Only one thing I wish that I didn't like was the smoking on board. They allow smoking in the casinos and areas outside that bothered me at times. I couldn't sit in the casino for a long time because the smoke would bother me. HAL says the Eurodam will be going smoke free soon.

As said, this cruise was very nice and I will recommend taking it. It was really disappointing to leave because we had such a great time. It is definitely worth what we paid which was about $2000 for a balcony for 4. The rate they were offering allowed the 3rd and 4th passenger to sail for free. This cruise definitely is one of the best I've taken. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 4015

Big bathroom/shower with a tub (no phone booth style showers like Royal Caribbean), bigger room than past cruises, big balcony, and pretty quiet. Had comfortable furniture, flatscreen TV, a refrigerator, and good size close with decent storage space.

Before arriving back to Ft. Lauderdale, we went to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (HAL's island). The island was beautiful! It was one of the most beautiful islands I've seen! There was a small water park for kids, an Island BBQ, and shops. The water was a gorgeous blue and the sand was really soft and white. This was one of my favorite ports of all. Fort Lauderdale is really nice with lots of good restaurants and shops. The beaches are really nice too. After the cruise, we stayed at B Ocean which was a beautiful South Beach style resort.

Grand Turk is very nice and is great for snorkeling. However, there is nothing else there but the beach so there isn't much to see if your not a beach person. Plus, we didn't have much time since we had to be back on the ship at 2:30. If you go on the beach where Margaritaville is, there are good snorkeling spots there.

San Juan is a beautiful city and I've been there in the past. The fort El Morro is a must see as well as Old San Juan. Avoid certain areas that may seem shady and don't leave Old San Juan by foot because there are really seedy areas. We didn't go to the rum factory but we heard it's not worth going to. Also, you've got to eat at Mojito's :323 Recinto Sur | zip 00901, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico. This is excellent local Puerto Rican food. There are shops everywhere to buy souvenirs. We arrived in San Juan at 1PM and stayed until 11PM which was really nice.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

We took the Water Island Water taxi across to a secluded island and rented golf carts and went to a beach. There was hardly any people there and it was nice riding around the island. Be careful about the water taxis because we were afraid that we weren't going to get back in time to the ship, so its probably best to go early and get back early to guarantee that you will be back in time. We didn't know how reliable the taxis were, but they came and picked us up. It was only an 8 min. ride from Dock D in Crown Bay Marina. The beaches are really nice and there are shops all near the terminal to buy souvenirs.
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews