Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Casino Crasher: Disappointed in the Entertainment and Smoking aboard ship

Casino Crasher
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit Hawaii Cruises

Disappointed in the Entertainment and Smoking aboard ship

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Diego

The shows were not impressive, spectacular or worth watching like some cruise ships we've been on.
I think I only stayed to watch one all the way through and I walked out on all the others that I went to see.
I do not appreciate seeing girls and guys touching each other seductively on stage. To us, that is NOT entertainment. The skimpy outfits that exploit the women, to me, is not in good taste. I am not LDS, but the entertainment department could learn a lot from them as they have the famous "Polynesian Cultural Center" in Oahu and all their entertainers are dressed decently and covered, yet put on a fabulous performance.
The shows did not seem like the high caliber that they ought to be.
We had two great nights in the Empire Dining Room where one of the waiters, named Stuart, from the Philippines, sang a couple of songs. He was one of the best entertainers with refreshing talent. I sure hope he gets more recognition for his talent as he is a wonderful More singer.

I only enjoyed one comedy act: show; the Family Comedy Act by Seth Buchwald. I walked out on the other two "Family Comedy Acts" as they had a hard time keeping it "clean."
They acted like they had no direction with a theme for a show. The only thing one of them could do was to make fun of people.
I did not go to any of the adult comedy acts as I do not enjoy that type of filth. It's so sad to think that people enjoy that kind of thing and call it "entertainment".

My husband and I are non-smokers. I have a tendency to get sick when around cigarette smoke. Smoking needs to be in an area where non-smokers never have to walk through or have the ship completely smokeless. I do not enjoy having to wash my long hair before going to bed to prevent from smelling smoke all night as smoke clings to the follicles of hair.
Usually I was able to make it through the area by holding my breath and walking fast, but one night it was too crowded and I was running as I was running out of breath. I bumped into a lady, spilled her drink down the front of her and her drink went flying in the air and came down shattering all over the floor. I never looked back. I kept on running to prevent puking from the smoke. I never went through that area again. No, I had to go up and around to avoid having to go through the area again. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit 1-153

We were smart because we booked an inside State room on level 1 smack dab in the middle of the ship so we were able to have a good night's sleep for minimal amount of rocking. Our bed was very comfortable for us. I enjoyed the down bedding. Pillows could have been a little flatter, but no big deal. Where our room was located was very quiet. Only a couple of times did I actually hear people or noise but then fell back to sleep. Our room was spacious enough for us with plenty of storage & shelves as we don't pack a lot of clothes. I like to bring about 10 of my own hangers as I don't like the ones that come in the closets because of the way they are attached and have to be lifted off and out to use. If we had lots of clothes, then the closets might have been a little small for us. The shower was small, but so is my one at home so it was just fine for us and we are not real heavy people. Anyone weighing around 300lbs could have a problem fitting in and there are no hand rails in the shower for balance. We always had filled containers of shampoo and body soap in the shower and I LOVED the citrus smell of the soap! Our room came supplied with 2 nice beach towels to use and 2 big while shower robes. That was nice because our last cruise on the Norwegian, did not supply robes. We had a flickering light, and a screen that came off our water faucet but both were replaced quickly. Everything else worked that came in the room; phone, hairdryer, shower, no problems. I also enjoyed our stateroom attendants. Ours did a wonderful job & I was greeted with an adorable towel creation every night which I took pictures of.

Read 271 Hilo Reviews

We were able to get off here with out any problems and were able to obtain a rental car to tour the island. Even though this place is congested with traffic as it is the most tourists island, I guess it will always hold a special place for me in my heart as we have been here several times.
Read 265 Honolulu Reviews

Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(4)
Taking numbers for the tender did not go smoothly. It was very chaotic because the people would not respond in an orderly way. They pushed, they shoved and got in line when they were not suppose to. The weather was nicer here and not so rainy.
Read 166 Kona Reviews

Read 265 Maui Reviews

We arrived at the pier in San Diego for the Carnival Spirit and waited around awhile before we could begin the processing for embarkation. Once inside, it was very unorganized. So many different lines, nothing seemed to run smoothly, it was like a big jumbled up mess. The gentleman that was suppose to be telling us when to go to the next available clerk was not paying attention. Time was wasted.