Norwegian Star Cruise Review by fergusonvt

Member Name: fergusonvt
Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: SF
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Star Western Caribbean 1/29/2012
Embarkation -- Very smooth considering we arrived an hour later than expected due to our shuttle being late picking us up at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. The shuttle was held up because of the delay in the Carnival ship getting to port. We were in an AFT PH so went to the VIP desk and were whisked away to another area with drinks, cookies and sandwiches. We got our key cards right away and were being escorted onto the ship about 10 minutes later. We didn't get escorted on by our butler as he was busy. We did not utilize the Butler or Concierge during our cruise preferring to make reservations ourselves. We booked the room for the view and balcony.

The room -- We had a deck 10 AFT PH (10728) and loved the room. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The balcony was by far the best part. Wide and deep with 2 loungers, 1 upright chair and a small table. Roomy enough for 2 more loungers. Our first sea day we took a long nap out there. It was fabulous. I know that many will disagree with this but we didn't like the Lavazza coffee. It was much stronger then I care for. The tea was good though. We ate in 2 specialty restaurants and made the reservations ourselves. Both my husband and I liked Endless Summer although there was way too much food (not a complaint!) for us to finish. We also liked Ginza. The portions were smaller but the food was excellent.

The Ship -- We like the Star a lot. I loved the Atrium and liked the layout of the ship in general. The seats in the Stardust were not as comfortable as the ones on the Sun but the theatre is bigger. We enjoyed all the shows very much.

The Food -- As I mentioned above we liked Endless Summer and Ginza and only utilized Cagney's for lunch on embarkation day and for breakfast just two mornings. Most mornings we would grab something quick from the buffet. We ate dinner in Aqua, the smaller and more casual of the two MDR's for most nights except for sail away (BBQ) and the nights we ate at Endless Summer and Ginza. We found everything very good. Both my husband and I enjoyed all of our dinners and made choices from both sides of the menu in the MDR. I can't think of one thing I had that wasn't good. DH had some type of salmon cake as an appetizer in the MDR that he didn't care for and when they saw he hadn't eaten all it asked him if he wanted something else. The buffet was ok, nothing super fantastic but good breakfast choices. Finding a place to sit before your food got cold was the biggest challenge.

Ports -- My least favorite was Roatan. It is very poverty stricken and made me feel rather sad our entire excursion which was "Best of Roatan". The rain didn't help. The Roatan beer we had in the back of the tour van helped a little ?. In Belize we did the Lamanai ruins which made for a very long day but it was very interesting. In Costa Maya we did Maya Chan which we loved. It was very relaxing, the food was great, the company was great (several CC members) and the unlimited bar was great. This wasn't an NCL tour but one we booked on our own. In Cozumel we did the Palancar Snorkel (I stayed on the boat and took pics) and Playa Mia beach resort tour. The food was ok (ham and cheese sandwiches, fruit, and French fries) but we had open bar after the Snorkel to Playa Mia, at Playa Mia and on the catamaran all the way back to the ship. Best tour ever!! (also shared with some CC members).

Disembarkation -- Very smooth. We reported to the Stardust for 8:15 to walk off with our luggage. By the time all of the non-US citizens were rounded up (this was an issue on our first cruise also) and we were walking off the ship we were all mixed up with those passengers who chose to do self dis- embarkation. Because of this I didn't see a real benefit to the Priority disembark process.

We had a great time and loved the ship and crew. I would definitely go on the Star again but would probably try for an AFT balcony on deck 10 rather than the PH. We are probably one of the rare cases where the suite life didn't spoil us for other cabin types. We will be sailing NCL again in the near future

Publication Date: 02/13/12