Carnival Legend Cruise Review by talblon

Email: talblon@hotmail.com
Cruise Date: March 2005
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Legend - Western Caribbean

For such a young ship this ship still is working out the bugs. The first night our air conditioning did not work, which would not have been so urgent if our room didn't feel like a humid 80 degrees and remember we are an inside room. We traveled with another couple who's floor and room felt much cooler. It seemed as if floor 7 had air conditioning problems. The cabin was never cool just tolerable. Our cabin bathroom was not working 4 out of the 8 nights. Maintenance the first night took 3 calls before arriving at our room. Carnival did not see this as an unconvinced, even after complaining they said please write your complaints on the comment card. On a positive note the rooms are larger than other ships we have been on.

The shore excursions were not as good as I thought they were going to be. If you're going to Belize I would only recommend the snorkeling or the Altun Ha. We did the river wallace and the Altun Ha. I found the river wallace to be disappointing. These guides had to really hunt for the animals and they would speed through parts and then back up when the guide spotted and animal which was gone by the time we go there. Traveling through Belize around 45 minutes we saw a lot of the area. The poorest of all three ports you are going to. I would not recommend the Belize City Tour by its self. I think that would be a waste of money. Costa Rica, we did the rainforest. Wow talk about a long drive its 1 hour and 45 minutes, which we knew ahead of time. Just seems long when you have been on a bus for so long. Carnival didn't have their act together here. We got into port early and they decided that the shore excursions would leave early. But they didn't tell the people that were still on the boat. See a problem. So I ran back inside got on the phone told the couple the shore excursion was leaving. They came down and were flustered saying they didn't know. I heard other people complaining bout missing their shore excursion on this day. Please note that the ticket time on your tickets is the time the tour leaves you have to be at designated area 15 minutes prior. Although Carnival changed that too in Costa Rica instead of meeting in the follies lounge they changed it to the port outside and closed the lounge was a huge mess and there was nothing said about this. The rainforest Airel Tram was okay. We saw no birds, maybe 2 flowers, lots of trees and 1 raccoon looking animal. My sister-in-law spotted, the guide never saw it. I didn't think the guides were great on this tour. If you are into trees I would recommend it, but truly it didn't have the feeling of a rainforest. The gift shop here is great.

Panama was great. I would recommend the Grand Tour. I thought it was the best of all three ports. Guides were great. The Indians were fantastic, the Panama Canal was good. However please note that the guide said around 1:00 there are no ships going through. Which is around the time we go to the port. Why they would take us to the Panama Canal when no ships goes through is beyond me. Thankfully two ships were going through. But if you have a choice I would do the Panama Canal first.

The food was good, not wonderful. The wait staff was very attentive and prompt. I loved the little shows that they performed for us each night. The Unicorn Cafe on the Lido deck we used for lunch and breakfast, but always had similar foods. Your best choice is the deli for a sandwich or fruit. The supper club was outstanding, and it does take anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

The music was so loud we could barely talk, so we asked to move upstairs where it was better. However your waiter has to climb the stairs for each and everything which makes the process a little longer if you are on the second floor. We saw some shows, but spent a lot of time in the casino.

The shops on board were well stocked. This ship is narrow, so it does rock a lot!!!! If you get sea sick, I would try a different ship. People did get sick on this ship who reported that they are not prone to motion sickness.

Publication Date: 08/02/05