Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Sherry Baby

Member Name: Sherry Baby
Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: IC
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Back-to-Back escape from cold
We chose NCL Sun for its great itinerary offered on back-to-back Caribbean sailings. This did not disappoint. We live in a cold climate and truly enjoyed being in a warm and sunny place for two weeks during January.

Our accommodations were good, the ship is well cared for, and the offerings are many for entertainment, activities, and amenities. In general, the service and staff on the ship were excellent.

Our negative impressions relate to some of the dining. We found the quality of the food to be inconsistent. We had breakfast and some lunches in the buffet. There is a wide variety of food available. Salads are beautiful, fruit is plentiful and fresh, bakery items are attractive and tasty. However, I was disappointed by the "waffle station" for breakfast. I believed the waffle would be prepared fresh to my order, but instead, the server reached behind the counter and placed an older, dried waffle on my plate. It was not edible. A different morning, I tried again, only to experience the same fate- a flat, tasteless, old waffle. There was not a waiting line; I don't know why waffles weren't freshly made.

In the Four Seasons Dining Room, I ordered a steak when it was the specialty of the night. It was thin and overdone, tasteless. A different night, I ordered steak from the right side of the menu- it was thick, juicy, and delicious.

We felt that portion sizes were small in the dining room. Shrimp scampi was three small shrimp. Vegetables were miniscule and sometimes unidentifiable. Was that potato? Carrot or squash? Five or six strange little cubes on the plate. Fruit plate had some nice fruit, then one strawberry half, not a whole strawberry.

Desserts were often gelatin-like, by varying names, like mousse, or souffle. One outstanding dessert was the baked apple in puff pastry with an almond filling, truly gourmet. But apple pie was like bland mush between two layers of cardboard. Like I said, inconsistent.

Because we were back-to-back, we wished to get off the ship for a few hours, on the Saturday the ship returned to Port Canaveral. We expected to call a cab and ride a short distance for some free time at a beach. We could not do this because "the sidewalk hostess" has to call the cab for you, based upon need when a shuttle bus will be full. We put our name on the list and waited a full hour for a bus available to take us out of the port. Apparently, there is one transportation contract handling all of Port Canaveral (as a monopoly) and Saturday is their busy time with other cruise line ships in port also. This process was not satisfactory to us.

We enjoyed the entertainment at the shows and in the lounges. There truly is something for everybody, no matter what your preference. We had a fastidious room steward, who was extremely attentive and pleasant.

Yes, we had a wonderful cruise. We got off the ship at every port and enjoyed a number of excursions. We made the most of our sea days and met many wonderful people, Cruise Critic members, staff members, and guests. We relaxed and I'm sure we will sail again. However, the food on this particular cruise will probably always stand out for being less than I would hope for on a cruise ship.

Publication Date: 02/08/12