Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by cruzinsweetie: Disappointed

Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed

Sail Date: December 2011

Let's see. Where do I start? Let's start with embarkation. Ours was a nightmare. The ship is so large there are 2 terminals, one for odd decks, one for even. It took us about an hour just to get into the terminal after standing outside in line for most of that time. Once we got into the terminal there was another wait to get to an agent. We finally got to the agent, and thought all was well. Wrong!! We went upstairs to the waiting area which was pretty empty. We were told by one of the staff where to wait and that we would be called soon. After waiting an hour and seeing everyone who came in after us being able to get on the ship, we were asked for our boarding number. "What number?" we asked. We had been given a number. We were finally able to board.

Once on the ship it seemed like mass confusion no matter where you went. We finally found the Garden cafe, and a place to sit. Once we got our food we enjoyed it. That wasn't too upsetting as no matter what ship you're on, the More embarkation lunch is always crowded.

On the positive side, we were able to get to the cabin by 2:00 or so, giving us a chance to explore the ship as they had a place that we could check our carry ons.

The cabins are European style, meaning the toilet, shower, and sink are all separate. When you're done with your shower, you had to stand in the cabin by the front door to dry off. The sink was in the bedroom with not much space on the counter by the sink to store things.

Our king size bed took up a big portion of the cabin and didn't leave much room to walk by to get to the sofa. The bed was very comfortable though. I am less than 5' tall so had trouble reaching the hangers. If you were on the balcony and wanted to come in, if someone was sitting on the couch, there was no way to walk by.We did not try Cagney's so I can't report on that. The Manhattan Room was only mediocore, and our waiter did not seem to be happy doing what he is paid to do. He never smiled. Garden Cafe was always good but being so large (a good thing) I had a hard time finding things in there without asking. We had some breakfasts and most dinners in the other restaurant (I can not remember the name of it) on the main deck. It was designed like a Trattoria, and there was a pianist there some nights. The food was good, but there didn't seem to be a very big choice on the menu. However, the servers made up for it by being very friendly and efficient.

I enjoyed the Legends production so much I went to it twice. Don't miss it. The music and performances both were excellent. Everyone that went to the Blue Man Group enjoyed it. I didn't go as I had a non contagious cough and didn't want to disturb any one.

I have been so negative until now, I want to add some positive comments if you're still reading this!

Being very directionally challenged, I thought the idea of one color carpeting on port and another on the starboard side was great. At least that way I would know when I was on the correct side of the ship!

I also liked the many directional signs placed everywhere.
The cabin door had something I wish every cabin had. Instead of having to hang a "Make Up Cabin" or "Do Not Disturb" sign on the outside of the door the Epic had something by the door, and all you had to do was turn the wheel to several choices of what needed to be done. No more signs on the door.

The cabin stewards were wonderful as were the front office people, and almost every staff member on the ship.

This cruise did show me that I am not a fan of the mega ships. I cruised on the Sun in 2010 and enjoyed that cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 13

Good size cabin but poor layout, with shower, toilet and sink all being the European style and separate from one another. Nice cabin, but needs more space, as the end of the bed and the beginning of the closets are very close together. If one is on the couch, the other person can't go on the balcony without having the other person move their legs out of the way. The balcony was wonderful and I enjoyed many pleasant hours reading out there.