Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Jackie Ward: Much better than I expected after reading previous reviews!

Jackie Ward
0 Post

Much better than I expected after reading previous reviews!

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Other

Cruise 15th to 29th January. Flew from Gatwick to Bridgetown to board ship. No problems.
Previous cruise was on Thompson Celebration in Oct 2010, so only second time with Thompson. Previous cruises with Page and Moy's ships Ocean Majesty and Ocean Monarch, which were much smaller.
General impressions were good, but although on same coridoor as Steve we had a different cabin steward Dicky who looked fed up all the time, and I had to ask him to replace things eg toilet rolls!
The cabin was fine, only slept in it so didn't need more but I like to be able to look outside so that's why we book an Outside.
Captain Roy kept us informed as to our destination and speed weather forecast etc. " the voice from above" as he liked to say each time he announced something.
We went on their organised excursions as we aren't confident enough to go out on island tours with local taxi's. Their booking system needs to be sorted out as we were told that we were on a trip by one person, More then we weren't on any by another!
The trips we went on were mostly island highlights of 4 hours approx as we didn't want to sit on coaches for hours.
Memorable ones include Dolphin Encounter in Tortola in British Virgin Islands. Expensive to do '£72 plus photos taken by their photographer, $80! decided as it was a one off experience that I wouldn't think about the cost too much.
Scenic Railway in St Kitts was brilliant, drinks flowing, ladies singing and everyone we met along the journey waving at us.
Dominica for the steep narrow and sometimes almost no existent roads to the waterfalls. Brilliant.
Isla Marguerita for flooded roads as it was raining on the mountains and the water flowing down to the main roads! Very colourful shop selling pottery figures with fruit on their heads.
Felt very safe in the ports of call when we wandered from the ship to local shops.
The "at sea" days led to overcrowding around the pool areas, but I was happy sitting at the tables if no sun bed available.
Went on a "behind the scenes" tour of Broadway show lounge and met Samantha the "captain". It was all very interesting as I had watched "Showboaters" on Sky and was pleased that Ashanti the winner had settled into show life so well.
The nightly entertainment was really quite good, Maxwell Plumm guest comedian the first week, then Maurice Grumbleweed the second. I thought Maurice did a much better job but its all down to personal taste in the end.
Food was usual standard fare, ate at Orion a few nights,but mostly in Lido or Sirens
Luckily no outbreaks of Norovirus that I could see, but like previous lady said it was more luck, as I watched many people avoid hand washing or the gel.
I would go on Thompson cruises again, a very friendly ship and good experience! Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Dream 5188

Near the back of the ship so quite a walk to get to main public areas. For some reason we had all the cooking smells pumped into the cabin from early in the morning! Position of the beds could be changed as when in a rolling sea you rolled out of bed! Used a spare blanket to tuck myself firmly in bed! It had adequate space for clothes etc, but all looked a bit tired and basic. Must have been the corridor to the engine room as regularly came across grubby crew!

Another highlights tour, but visit to Nelsons Dockyard and Falmouth was really nice.
Read 796 Antigua Reviews

Jeep 4X4 Adventure

(4)
We did Farewell Barbados tour on last day. The plantation house was lovely, could imagine living there as it was crammed full of old stuff!

Jeep 4X4 Adventure

(5)
As above.

Aerial Tram

(5)
Beautiful setting in the rain forest, but didn't get time to take a dip as it was part of a highlights trip.

ATV Adventure

(5.5)
Lovely trip, worth the cost as it can't be booked independently

First visit to a Rum distillery at 10am a bit early to be sampling their produce but enjoyed the few that I tried.

Island tour again, stopped in French St Martin to visit a market, managed to get souvenirs that I didn't see elsewhere, so worth a look. We were competing with 6 other massive Cruise ships that were also there for the day. We were late leaving as our ship was trapped behind them. Never saw that many ships in one port again! Must have totally overwhelmed the Island.

Botanical gardens were beautiful, would be more so a bit later in the year.

(5.5)
Dolphin Encounter. Worth the money, a one off life experience.
Read 501 Tortola Reviews