Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Debster992: Elvis has left the Jewel...Phew!
Member Since 2009
Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises
Elvis has left the Jewel...Phew!
We enjoyed the Jewel. The staff, cleanliness, food, entertainment was overall great. The itinerary, weather and crazy fellow passengers were sometimes challenging.
The staff was great. A Washy-washy lady at the restaurants spraying disinfectant on your hands in a very friendly manner to ensure cleanliness was appreciated. The room was kept nice and drink & food service was timely. The first waiter who served us prior to sail away, Madae, also worked in the Fyzz Lounge and was delightful. Our room steward, Melody, was very pleasant and attentive. Morning room service was efficient and started with a pleasant phone call prior to delivery. We tried the $5 pizza one night -- not as good as the buffet pizza but it was big enough to feed a family.
The room was clean but the rug, tv and bed could use an update. Well worn. Common areas, bathrooms, restaurants were all kept tidy.
Room 10038 (Starboard Balcony)
Location convenient to More elevators serving Garden Buffet, Spinnaker Lounge, Poolside. Quiet except for one late night neighbor party. View of pier in Port Canaveral and Nassua. Sun rises on way back to NY. Beautiful early morning view of NYC skyline coming back into port.
- Buffet food was really good but the crowd is tough to navigate and seating difficult. I highly recommend attending the Thursday night chocolate buffet and bring your camera. Norwegian really does it right with ice sculptures and chocolate fountains.
- Meals at Tsars and Azura were great. Nice portions and quality. We did try Cagney's Steak House and the steak was outstanding but the bisque, 3 tiny piece shrimp cocktail, and comical tiny sampler desert was not worth an up charge from Tsars or Azura.
- Poolside ribs and chicken is an awesome lunch. Barbequed on big charcoal grills and accompanied by various salads and veggies.
- Our favorite outside hangout was the upper level poolside bar which had plenty of seating in the sun or shade and two big screens with sports. You can grab a quick hot dog with your beer.
- Blue Lagoon was a great find. Had wings, fish & chips and cheesecake for lunch. They served the best coffee that I had on the ship.
We really enjoyed to main shows including Cirque, Brenda Kaye (hypnotist), and JP (magician). Even though we don't have kids, we enjoyed seeing Dora, Patrick, and Diago strolling around the ship and before shows. The band in The Spinnaker Lounge did a good job playing different themes such as 50-60's, 70's, disco, etc. Our fave event was clearly the White Hot Party Thursday night. The place was decked out and dancers from the shows got the crowd going. Other favorites included acoustic guitarist, Bruce, who played in several different venues and the Latin dance parties at Fyzz.
Itinerary & Weather
- Sail away views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty at sunset are fantastic from deck. It was cold January 28th so bundle up and enjoy! We eventually moved into the Spinnaker Lounge which has a much warmer great view.
- If you are looking for a fun place for lunch in Port Canaveral, try Fish Lips down by the market. Quick cab ride or you can take the shuttle for $6 if you also want to get to Ron Jons for shopping. Unless you want to visit Orlando attractions for the Space Center, there really isn't much to do at this stop. IMHO, it is only scheduled to enable the ship to restock. There were non-stop tractor trailers dropping off pallets the entire day and evening. I will likely not take this itinerary again because of all the sea days and this silly stop.
- The big disappointment for many was missing Great Stirrup Caye due to high waves. It was replaced by another day at sea with additional on-board activities and one hour of free rum punch by the pool.
- The weather in Nassua was overcast and chilly in the morning when we were on the Seahorse snorkeling tour and the waves were rockin'. The boat was overbooked and the staff was overwhelmed preparing everyone to snorkel. One man became distressed in the water and another passenger had to throw him a life jacket. We did not feel safe going into the water. We had a fun lunch at Senor Frogs followed by shopping at the straw market which is overpriced and full of in-your-face salespersons. Any future visits to Nassau will be spent at a safe resort instead of roaming the area directly outside of the pier.
Crazy Fellow Passengers
Most folks on the cruise were fun and sociable but, not the fault of Norwegian, rudeness availed at the buffet and in general. The most amusing annoyance was an Elvis impersonator from Las Vegas who appeared everywhere. He was a fellow passenger but packed a couple of full costumes (cape and rhinestones included) and performed whether or not anyone wanted to hear it..."Thank you, Thank you very much"...not!
Thank you Norwegian for making our first cruise with you a good one. We will sail with you again someday. Please consider different 7 day itineraries out of NYC (without Port Canaveral).
Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>
Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 10038
Room 10038 (Starboard Balcony) Location convenient to elevators serving Garden Buffet, Spinnaker Lounge, Poolside. Quiet except for one late night neighbor party. View of pier in Port Canaveral and Nassua. Sun rises on way back to NY. Beautiful early morning view of NYC skyline coming back into port.
Port and Shore Excursions
Couldn't wait to get off the s...
Great Time and Very Relaxing; ...
Enjoyable and Relaxing