Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by fldvldog

Member Name: fldvldog
Cruise Date: January 2012
Cabin Category: Q

Oasis of the Seas
My husband and I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas on January 28 - February 4, 2012 for our 24th anniversary. We were so excited about going on this huge ship and trust me when I say it was massive! It really is a gorgeous ship with so much to do, you'll never get bored. For having 6000+ people on board it never felt that way. I guess because there are so many places that people can go on this ship that it kept everyone spaced out. We've been on 2 other Royal Caribbean cruises and this ship by far makes them look so tiny.

We had an interior stateroom. The bed were VERY comfortable and our room steward was wonderful. We never spend a whole lot of time in our room so we didn't see spending so much on a room that we would use just to sleep and change clothes at.

The Promenade was amazing. It felt like a small town with places to eat and places to shop. Central Park was very nice and had most of the specialty restaurants there. We ate at the main dining room for the entire cruise so I could not tell you how the specialty restaurants were like. I know a few people that we talked to on the cruise that raved about them all. The board walk was so neat to see. It had a full size carousel there with Johnny Rockets and the Seafood Shack. It also had a few more shops, a ice cream parlor, free donuts and the Aqua theatre. It was nice to relax up there if you just wanted to get away from the pool areas. The Solarium restaurant served healthier foods so we ate breakfast there a few days on this cruise. The Spa is gorgeous! My husband surprised me with a massage which was so relaxing. We spent a lot of time in the jacuzzi near the Solarium. It was never crowded and it was nice to be able to look out to the sea. There were two rock wall climbing and two Flow Riders. The zipline on the ship was a joke. It takes like 15-20 minutes to gear up for it and it was about 30 seconds long. Not worth it at all.

The main dining room served decent food. My husband did find a bug in one of his dinner dishes. The head waiter apologized profusely about it and explained that it came from one of the vegetables they served and not being cleaned thoroughly. My husband lost his appetite after that. After the 3rd day, some of the food they served in the main dining room started to look like leftovers from the nights prior but changed around a little or gravy added to them to look different. Some of the deserts they served in the main dining room looked like deserts served in the Windjammer but spruced up with more whipped cream or drizzled with syrup to look fancier. I even asked the assistant waiter if the desert was like the one's being served in the Windjammer and he said that they were the same. I always thought that the main dining room served different food/desert then the Windjammer but I was wrong.

The entertainment was wonderful on this ship. Hairspray was amazing and so was the Ice Show and Come Fly with me. We saw the comedy show and it was nothing to brag about. The opening act was funnier then the actual main comedian. The Headliner show was very enjoyable too! We tried to book a show for every night that we were on this cruise but some of them got cancelled and had to be rescheduled. The one we never got a chance to see was the water show at the Aqua Theatre. The show got cancelled because of rough waters making the diving portion of the show dangerous.

Nassau, Bahamas was nothing to brag about. We've been there a few times on other cruises that we almost didn't even get off the ship. But I wanted to do a little shopping so we did get off the ship for that for a few hours. We went to Sapphire Beach at St. Thomas to do some snorkling. The water was beautiful but was pretty chilly. Once you got in and got use to it then it wasn't so bad. We did a Tree Top Zipline excursion at St. Maarten. It was by far the funnest excursion we've ever done! Well worth the price!

The last two days on the ship were at sea. The water heading back to Florida was really rough so everyone could really feel the ship moving around. I felt like I was catching something on the last two days at sea. I don't know if it was because of the swaying of the ship making me feel bad. I was taking Dramamine but it didn't seem to help. I talked to other cruisers that said that it was affecting them too. My husband never felt bad at all but he is in the military and the rough waters we were feeling on this cruise is nothing compared to some military ships he has been on. So he wasn't affected at all.

When we finally got to Florida on the morning of our last day, it only took about 15 minutes to get off the ship. It was surprising how quick and smooth it went for as many people that are on this ship.

To sum it all up, the ship is amazing! Something to experience at least once. We had a great time but I do wish that there weren't so many days at sea. By the 6th day, I was ready to go home. Too much of a good thing, isn't a good thing......This ship is a must see.

Publication Date: 02/06/12