Disney Wonder Cruise Review by GotDrums: Wonderful Time On The Wonder

Wonderful Time On The Wonder

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Folks it all starts and ends with great Guest Services and how they handles any potential problems. And I hope you don't have any on your cruise. But if you do they should be handled professionally and quickly with a great solution.
The Emerald Princess by far has the worst Guest Services is my travels by far.
I was celebrating four years cancer free and when I went to guest services I was rudley told by a young girl young enough to be my daughter that "We dont do that here" and then she shared it with the rest of guest services and they had a nice chuckle about it. It was only after 5-6 days of me nagging the desk and following up on my own to find out they had a Susan K Komen "Walk The Deck For The Cure" and then I was bought off with a dinner at Sabatinis and a bottle of red wine. Again after 5-6 days and about 4-5 people before speaking to management. Will never cruise with Princess again.
Carnival just as bad when me and my family was blocked from getting on board More ship after an 18 hour drive by photographers who insisted on taking our pictures. Complained to desk they said sorry and that was the end of that. Wrote a letter and then was offered a 12.95 plate of Chocolate covered strawberries on our next Carnival cruise. Talk about adding insult to injury. No more cruises with Carnival.
And trust me I share this story with people and blogs everywhere.
Well lets spray some magic pixie dust over this bad stuff and go on to the great review of the Disney Wonder.
We were celebrating my wife's 60 birthday and have never cruised the Pacific Coast before.
We have cruised Disney before going on the Disney Dream's Inaugural Cruise. Another great cruise.
Disney is very well organized about getting you on the ship and the entire process took about 1/2 hour before we were on board ship. Rooms were ready at 2 and the Beach Blanket Buffet was lay ed out well with lots of great food choices.
Muster drill was painless and very well done.
With Disney safety is always first. You can always be assured your little ones are well taken care of here.
Then the Sail Away Party.
There is no other cruise line that does a Sail Away Party to speak of and nobody and I do mean NOBODY does it like Disney.
They put the E in excitement and make sure you leave all your troubles behind. You really feel like you are on vacation.
Just a mention on our room. We had an inside stateroom. Our inside stateroom on the Oasis of the Seas sailing was 182 sg feet with veranda. Our inside stateroom was 184 sg ft and Disney has tubs as well even in the inside staterooms. The biggest bathrooms at seas.
We are return Castaway Members after just one cruise.
Did we have a cheesy discount book waiting for us with the usual 10% off the usual purchase in the shop stuff?
Nope we got a great canvas beach bag with two huge rice krispy treats that looked like sandals, two very nice metal water bottles and a keep sake key chain.
After only 1 cruise

Room steward was great with great towel animals and chocolates at bedtimes. Something the other cruise line (some of them) have stopped doing.
Its the little things though that make the difference. How much do you really save on a little bit of chocolate and how is it reflected in a cruise fare?
First night was at Palo's for my wife's birthday.
Here was the only stumble.
I had let them know it was my wife's birthday and dinner was good but it was not as good and presentation was not as grand as we had on the Emerald Princess and Sabatinis. Disney could learn here.
Plus there were only 4 tables and the Maitre D never stopped by to wish my wife a happy birthday. Instead he choose to visit a table of past cruisers he knew and visit with them. Our waiter did however write a beautiful Happy Birthday wish on an empty plate for my wife. No singing nothing else. ???
I went to Guest Services the next day just to make sure that at dinner that evening perhaps the waiters in the rotational dining schedule could sing to my wife. Jennifer in Guest Services immediately took control of the situation explaining they do not sing in Palos because of the ambiance ?? Ok
But they would at night on the 16 and that was my wife's actual birthday anyway. And it went great.
We also came to out room that night to find a very nice bottle of wine and a towel birthday cake and a card waiting for my wife.
Also there were little gifts and cards left the rest of the week by both our friends Jennifer and Colin at Guest Services. Yes I said friends because Guest Services at Disney will treat you like friends and family.
New Cruise director Jimmy London also did a fine job with all the fine shows and all the entertainment.
How could you tell?
Walk by any club or bar and they were packed day and night with laughing families and adults having a blast. And Jimmies staffs attention were on the guests not each other in the hallways and on deck.
Fireworks at sea,Pirates, Captain Jack Sparrow, Rotational dining between three great colorful restaurants with great food in each.(the food was very good and plate presentation was gourmet with real Baked Alaska served and done in parade fashion) Waiters on parade cutting food for the kids and making sure everyone's favorite drinks were waiting for them.
Every dinner was a show onto itself plus the Maitre D was kind and all over the place.
And have you ever seen the bartenders do tricks and dance on all those great promo videos you see from cruise lines? They guys on Disney actually do it WOW.
Every show was done in the professional manner we know and love with the execution of excellence Disney is know for around the world
We also did the All Day RainForest Pass in the spa which gives you all day in great showers and different steam rooms and thermal beds for some great chill time. The only downer about this is its positioned under the basketball court (big opps). Go early or late in the day or on a port day for relaxing time hint hint.
Plus the beautiful and safe ports of Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. What more could you ask for?
I was so blown away we are doing this all over again April 22 in a couple months.
Hey I love Disney and a Shout out to our friends Jennifer,Colin, Mitch,Clair (Main stage members) and Jimmy London and staff You made us feel like family and we love you for that. Im gonna tell your boss. See some of you soon I hope.
Folks if you want a great cruise I would wonder why you wouldn't choose The Wonder? Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder 6101

Great location, huge bathroom , quiet and lots of space