Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Aurora2143

Member Name: Aurora2143
Cruise Date: January 2012
Cabin Category: GS
Shore Excursions 5+

Excellent First Time Cruise Experience!
This was my first cruise ever and it was awesome! There were some cons to the trip but overall it was amazing!

Our suite attendant Christopher was great. It seemed like every time we left our room and came back, our room was cleaned. I'm a smoker and upon asking for a list of all the places on the ship I could go to smoke, I was given a special ashtray for my balcony.

We only ate in the main dining hall three times, both of the formal nights and then we went back for our final night because we wanted to say bye to our waiters. We didn't know who our head waiter was and didn't really see him until the last evening, but our waiter Edguardo and his assistant Angelo were amazing. My husband goes by his middle name and I have an extention on my name. We told them once and they remembered what to call us each time they saw us. They were very professional and yet made you feel like Kings and Queens of the boat.

We really enjoyed eating at the other establishments. I liked the the variety at the Windjammer and we ate there often. We really liked Izumi's sushi, Johnny Rockets, Solarium Bistro (for dinner), and the free room service. Unless you're a health food eater, I wouldn't recommend the Solarium Bistro for breakfast and lunch. We're not really into the turkey sausage and such so we went to the Windjammer afterwards for more food. The Ice Cream at the Ice Cream parlor and the cupcakes in the Promenade we excellent! I think our biggest bummer was the Seafood Shack. We should have known when there wasn't ever a big crowd there. The service wasn't that great and after a while my husband and I figured out what appeared to be the problem. The service was slow but our waitress was very sweet and friendly. We noticed she was waiting on just about all the tables and we didn't really see anyone else waiting on tables. She seemed to be getting scolded by the others but none of the others were doing much. We felt really bad for her. The food was ok, but we didn't go back.

There were so many activities and shows! We really enjoyed Hairspray and the ice show Frozen in Time. We thought Come Fly with Me was not that great and the diving show Oasis of Dreams was ok. We were supposed to go to the Comedy Show, but were having so much fun at The Quest game that we skipped out on the comedy. I would definitely recommend The Quest! Get there early to get a good seat front and center. The belly flop contest was hilarious, and the bars and nightclubs were a lot of fun.

Offshore excursions:

Make sure to do your research and homework regarding these. My husband and I went to Atlantis and did the Sea Lion Encounter. It was AMAZING!!! Very intimate setting with a small group (probably because it's so expensive), we thought it was worth the money until we found out through another couple that was there that it's $100 cheaper to book directly through Atlantis and not the cruise.

In St. Thomas we went on the BOSS underwater diving tour. I'm afraid of the water and when I first went into the equipment underwater, I became claustrophobic and hyperventilated and had to get out. The diver asked if I would like to try again and I really did. So he walked me slowly through the process again and stayed with me the entire time under water to make sure I was ok and felt safe. It was awesome and the staff were superior! I would definitely do it again!

In St. Maarten we booked a tour to go to a private resort for a day at the beach and then a short shopping tour. When we got to the "resort", it was a joke. You could rent equipment but at a VERY HIGH COST! We took a taxi back to the ship and just went shopping on our own.

Over all, our offshore experience was great until we got to St. Maarten. I would recommend paying $6 once for the water taxi (which is good all day as long as you keep the band on) and just go shopping. My husband bought me a really nice Tanzanite ring there.

The Concierge and Concierge Lounge: We liked having access to the lounge as suite guest where they served breakfast and lunch. Before going down to dinner, we would stop in the lounge for complimentary alcoholic drinks and snacks. We weren't too thrilled with the concierge service, we could never get them on the phone and they seemed a little arrogant, but the wait staff in the lounge were wonderful and friendly.

Vitality Spa: this is probably our biggest and only true complaint of our experience during our entire trip. We booked a couple's massage and it was great! They even threw in a free mini facial. What we didn't like was after the massage, they ask you to put on your robe and wait in the massage room for them to return. When they came back, it was a total sales thing going over all these expensive products that they try to push you into buying. It was very uncomfortable and ruined our relaxing massage.

Overall, we loved our cruise and would definitely do it again very soon!

Publication Date: 02/06/12