Carnival Glory Cruise Review by mori9970

Carnival Glory
Member Name: mori9970
Cruise Date: January 2012
Cabin Category: 8D

Our first cruise in winter
We were on a 1 week Eastern Caribbean cruise at end of Jan and this was our first cruise that we took in the winter. We thought we would get some sunshine in to break up our winter but was naive about the weather. The weather was cloudy, rainy and cool for much of the time. If we cruise again at this time of the year, I will take more warm clothes and more ginger root candy as the waters were choppy about 50% of the time. Not the cruise line's fault but a lesson learned for us.

The Glory is a lovely ship -- older but still lovely and very clean. Our balcony room was a good size and had a pleasant decor. Cabin steward was wonderful...non intrusive but got the job done quickly. I liked the 1 door to the balcony vs the sliding doors on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian as they opened and closed much easier.

Carnival allows each guest to bring on board a bottle of wine which is a nice touch. Royal and Norwegian does not allow for this.

We were on the your time dining plan and while it suited us to go when we wanted to, we were limited to the 3rd deck of the Golden Restaurant. While the menu is the same in both dining rooms, the Platinum dining room was nicer (we had breakfast in there a few times). We learned after about 3 days that we could request a more private table for 2 and although we had to wait some times, we were happy to wait. The 1st 2 nights, our table for 2 was an inch away from many other tables for 2 so you may as well be with a group of 8! Dining staff was generally good...tried hard to please most of the time. We had 1 waiter who was somewhat offensive but we left right after we were done our main course and never got his section again.

Now to the food. It is hit and miss in the dining room. I enjoyed my meal 3 nights and did not enjoy the others. Food was never hot...lukewarm at best. My husband and I order the beef entree 3 times over the course of the week -- him twice and me once. I swear they used the same pot roast all 3 times! The chocolate melting cake that I heard so much about was not good the night we ordered it as it was cold and dry. I did have an incredible vanilla creme brule though. Buffet at breakfast was same every day and was also lukewarm at best. You are better off going to the dining room if you can for breakfast and they were also very accommodating about seating us at a table for 2. Salad bar at lunch buffet was decent and the nice thing was they had other options at lunch. Mongolian wok was good as they cook right in front of you so it is fresh and hot. My husband tried the sandwich bar one day and liked it. We had fish and chips one day and it was good...soup was very good. There is a small sushi bar on deck 5 that served from around 5 - 8 pm each night. We didn't find it until our last night and had a snack there...was very fresh. We didn't go to the Emerald steakhouse and didn't meet anyone who tried it.

We spent a few afternoons at the adult sanctuary section using our towels as blankets as it was windy and cool but the area is nice if you can find a seat or lounge.

Comedians were generally good. We didn't make it to more than 1 show and it was ok. Carnival does a Fun farewell party at the afternoon of the last day providing music and free drinks. It was done nicely...no cheaping out on the drinks. We saw people with 3-4 drinks in front of them and the waiters never batted an eye. It was surprisingly not crowded so either it wasn't widely publicized or people didn't care to go. We heard about it through reviews on this website.

Would we do Carnival again? I don't think it would be our first choice given our experience with the dining room as food is one of the reasons we cruise but if the itinerary was right, we would probably consider it.

Publication Date: 02/06/12