Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by LucyR.

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by LucyR.
Carnival Splendor
Cabin Category: 1A
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Rates 5+

Carnival Splendor review as a senior solo cruiser
I have cruised on Splendor 6 times and always had a great time.

I cruised on Jan.29 - Feb. 4, 2012. I am Platinum VIP. I cruised SOLO.

Cabin #7345, Cat. 1-A, is fantastic for one or two cruisers and the cheapest catagory. Cabin steward was great.

Anytime dinning: I would choose early dinning at 6p.m. Maitre D would try to seat me with other solo cruisers. That was very nice.

Cruising solo is very easy to join a large table of cruisers so I could meet other cruisers and I had a great time meeting new people at breakfast, lunch and dinner at the dining room.

Entertainment was great. Lots of music everywhere where I could dance and have fun. I loved the Piano Bar with Ron the singer and player. We all had a great tine. The Latino band was fantastic for dancing and listening.

Trivia games - They had lousy questions so I didn't play much. I love to play Trivia that have fair questions for all countries with general questions.

Casino - I never play. It is a waste of my money and no fun.

Shopping - I went shopping at Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta. I also went shopping at Cabo. I took a taxi-bike ride into town to shop for cosmetics

and I kept my taxi driver with me to take me to a cheapy store for shopping.

It was fun for him to hold my hand so I wouldn't fall in pot-holes, bad side-walks and steps. I gave him $20. for the taxi and his time. That was great service for me who is a senior with bad eye-sight.

FOOD - I enjoyed eating lots of foods. BUT....watch out for the Hot Chocolate machine that must be dirty inside because the chocolate was spoiled at times.

Watch out for the salad dressings and make sure they are safe to eat because they get spoiled sitting outside at the Sandwich grill. I had to throw a sandwich away because the thousand Island dressing smelled and tasted spoiled on the last night of the cruise. I guess it got spoiled by just being on ice outside on the deck.

Two of my friends ate fresh sushi every evening and on the last evening they got sick and vomited the sushi.

Service was really bad at dinner time because the waiters don't know you so most of them don't really care if they give you great service. The main problem with them is they don't bring you the condiments or extra things that you need to eat your meal like sour cream and butter for your baked potato.

Apple sauce for pork chops. Horseradish for prime rib. Things like that really bothered me.

It's the price you pay for eating dinner with different people every evening.

I don't like traditional seating because if I have boring dining people at my table it can be real boring for me.

Waiters do try their best to please you if you can find them when you need them. They don't have enough help to really do a great job of providing all the needs of the diners.

Overall... I had a great time on this ship but I don't plan to cruise on it again because it has gone downhill on foods and service in the dining room.

That is very important for me as a cruiser. Some cruisers have other things that are more important to them.

One more thing....They took my portable battery fan out of my luggage and didn't leave me a letter to state that they took it out. I was supposed to wait until the departure day to go look for my fan at the Red Carpet room but my friends rushed me into leaving the ship right away and they were giving me a ride home so I didn't go look for it.

One last comment: I didn't like the way the Mexican security at Puerto Vallarta

put their hand into my COIN MONEY PURSE to do a search. Lucky I had my dollars

hidden in another place in my tote bag. I complained to Carnival's manager of security. She called me at my cabin later that day. She didn't care at all and said it was part of security. I just said okay since I got the message that she didn't plan to have a talk with the Mexican security who had told me they were looking for fruits in my tote bag. Does fruit fit in my coin money purse?

"DUH"... I hate it when security puts their hands on my tiny purse.

Since I am a VIP I had great embarkation and disembarkation. It was a fun ship for Solos. LucyR.

Publication Date: 02/06/12
Read the Mexican Riviera ports review by LucyR.
More Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews