Diamond Princess Cruise Review by cabmanherts

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Diamond Princess Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Diamond Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Diamond Princess Deck Plans
Not impressed
We chose this cruise because of the locations visited,and they lived up to our expectations.However,Diamond Princess did not.

Firstly, I have to say the staff were pretty good,and i have no complaints on that score.It was many little things that added up,eg,I have never seen such flimsy toilet paper as that used on this ship,I seriously advise you to take your own(I am not joking).

In the buffet you need to be a contortionist to be able to serve yourself,the hot cabinets are like serving yourself in a science lab,you know,where you put your hands through into rubber gloves and handle chemicals,see for yourself you'll no what i'm talking about.There are no china cups,just plastic ones.There are no teaspoons,just bits of wood to stir your tea/coffee, incidentally the coffee is awful,no doubt intentionally so,in order for you to buy a coffee card.

At lunch,there are no free cold drinks.The food itself is not of a great standard,and became very samey after a few days.

Dining in the evening(we chose the 8.15pm sitting)was ok ,the staff were very attentive,however they lacked the knowledge of what was on the menu.The menu itself,looked good,however the quality of the food,I thought was second rate,especially the meats.Being on the second sitting was a big mistake as far as catching the entertainment was concerned.All the shows seemed to start 30mins before dinner,or,30mins after.Either way by the time we came out we were too late to catch the start.Not to worry,we were not missing much,I found the big shows in the theatre were second rate,they would have made better use of the money spent on attracting,bigger,better class entertainers than the same old,same old formula of singing and dancing in obscure languages.

One of my biggest bugbears was the constant taking of photographs at every opportunity,and then trying to sell them at the outrageous price of $39.95,I along with the vast majority of passengers refused to be conned(Take note Princess Cruises).Also,what is it about cruises and so called "Art Auctions".Who on earth is interested in paying over the odds for artwork,this is a cruise for christs sake.Any one who buys at these so called auctions,needs their brains examined!All in all,I feel that I am being used as a cash machine,with Princess trying to screw every last penny out of me.My last cruise was on Celebrity,and that is where i will be going next,as long as this last experience hasn't put me off cruising too much.

Publication Date: 02/06/12