Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Ruth: Big Ship vs Middle Ship

1,743 Posts

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Big Ship vs Middle Ship

Sail Date: January 2012

Allure has a lot to see. Shows are fabulous! We didn't miss a one. Booked the shows on line before we left. You use your room key to get into the shows for those who made reservations. We had a cabin with a balcony on the 9th deck. Facing Rita's Cantina and the water theater. We also made reservations for most of our speciality restaurants on line before we left. Booked one restaurant while on the ship, in our cabin on the TV -it's easy. I would book before I left...better chance of getting what you want. Showed up 10 min before lunch at Giovanni one day and got in. Speciality Restaurant ate at: Giovanni's Table, 150 Central Park, Johnny Rockets, Izumi Japanese, Rita's Cantina. Also ate at the Adagio Dining Room, Park Cafe, Broadwalk Dog House, Solarium Bistro, Sorrento's Pizzeria & the Windjammer Cafe Lido Restaurant. Of course 150 Central Park was my favorite. Dinning evening experience takes about 2 hours that is average for the Allure. Be sure you tell the waiter if you have a More show booked so he can get you out on time. Must be there about 30min before the show to get in even if you have reservations. We booked dinning in main dinning room for late sitting 8:30. We had booked to be at a big table, but when we arrived we were seated with a newly web couple in their 20's. My husband and I are in our mid 50's. The newly web couple had booked to sit along. They asked the Maitre d to move them, but when we asked to be moved, they could't seem to fine a big table to move us to. So we made the best of it. We love meeting people! So our dinning experience wasn't like past cruising. Fun dinners with great conversation. The food was actually the worst we've had on any ship. I spoke to other season cruisers on board and they agreed. But we all agreed how could the service and food be up to par with as many people on board. Speciality restaurants food was much better. Loved our room steward, waiter, waiters assistant. We bought the wine package before we left, and had a bottle each night for dinner. Good way to go. Checking in on the ship was a breeze. Getting our luggage to our room was the fastest ever. They are organized on moving people and their things. We choose the walk off with luggage the day of departure. That was very smooth.
Over all we are so glad we saw this ship, but we have decided we don't like the mega ships. We are going back to the smaller or middle ship in size. More personalized and the food is better.
The only real negative to us was our dining experience but other than that it was an OK trip. We are glad we went to see the ship.
I did book the diving shore shore excursion in Cozumel. I am AOW certified. I've dove in Aurba, Bonaire, Curacao, Belize, Mexico, all over the caribbean and Florida. I only booked it with the ship because my husband wasn't able to dive with me that day. I would have normally booked this without the ship. I was shocked Royal Caribbean chose this dive company. The boat was very small and old. 11 divers from the ship on a 30 ft boat with 4 crew members (captain, 2 dive masters & a photographer). Everyone was walking all over each other. Hard to put your dive gear on tanks with that many people on board. US would never have allowed this many people on a boat this size. It reminded me of the boat that sunk in the Florida Keys in Dec 2011. One passenger was tramped and died. This was very unsafe. I will go back to booking my own diving and not go with the cattle herding group. Also will take a taxi by my self to a dive company before booking with a cruise ship again.
But live and learn. Booking shore excursions with the ship is usually always this way. I knew that when I booked it.
If you asked me would I recommend you to take a cruise on the Allure of the Seas. I would say Yes to see it. Sometimes if you except less you enjoy it more.
You will have fun! No cruise is a bad cruise. It is just the food isn't that good. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Boardwalk view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 9707