Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by gp366: Highly disappointed

Highly disappointed

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My wife and I just returned from the 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise. We left out of San Juan PR on Jan 28th. The boat was dry-docked for 3-4 weeks to be refurbished and upgraded. The ship was decent, much smaller than the RCCL Adventure of the Seas that we were used to.

The cruise got off to a bad start right off the bat. We got through security, put our carryon into the stateroom (which was much smaller than what we had thought). Got to the excursions desk and booked kayaking for St. Croix, which was the next day. There was no hair-dryer in the room. We asked for a hair dryer. There was no "Do-not-disturb" sign. We asked for one also. Then off to dinner. My wife and I are both vegans, with my wife being gluten-free. The waiter was very accomodating with our diets. We noticed that the other people at our table were very disappointed with their food. One couple noted that their fish was cold and tasteless.

We got back to the stateroom after dinner at More 8pm-ish and there was a note to see the Assistant Maitre D between the hours of noon-5pm! There was another note about the itinerary for San Juan! We specifically asked guest relations for an itinerary for St. Croix (the next day) and they said "it wasn't available yet".

At this point, we noticed there wasn't the hair dryer or Do-not-disturb sign weren't delivered either. To make my review "PG", I'll just say that during the night my wife and I got "romantic" and housekeeping opened the door! BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE A DO-NOT-DISTURB SIGN!!! My wife was absolutely mortified!

I called guest relations and my stateroom attendant for a do not disturb sign and a hair dryer. My attendant said that I wasn't "looking into the right areas" for the dryer and DND sign. She came into the room and she couldn't find them either. She had to "ask her supervisor" for a dryer and a DND sign. Great. thanks.

Then we got a call from the excursions desk that our kayaking tour got cancelled because not enough people signed up. WTF!?!? Celebrity is charging an arm and a leg for these excursions and that's not fair. Celebrity should hold these companies accountable for canceling these excursions.

The next day, we specifically asked for a St. Croix itinerary. It wasn't available. It was lunch time. Not available. We had no idea what was going on the ship because we had to spend the entire day on the ship because our excursion got cancelled last minute. To top it off, at 4pm the water shut off. It was Formal night at 6pm. My wife and I weren't able to take showers before formal night. Our pictures were horrible. Water came back on at 7pm.

There's more: the Cruise director was annoying. Alejandro from Argentina was corny and dull. His jokes were lousy. He kept saying that the acts were going to be "amazing". They were A-W-F-U-L. Now I know what Simon Cowell from American Idol says about auditions being "Cruise-ship like". The "Summit crew of dancers and singers" were terrible. They had 3 nights of performances!!! The comedian (Fred Klett) was OK, but my wife fell asleep during his set. The impersonator signer (Travis Trulin...sp?) was signing songs that my grandparents listened to. The grand finale was a mish-mosh of all of them.

Back to the food. I will say that the staff was very accommodating to our dietary needs. They took our orders the night before for the chef to prepare our meals. Our meals were very good but I will say that the Ribeye steaks were tough and inedible (based on 4 other people at our table). The other dishes that our table-mates ate were dry and tasteless.

This whole Celebrity experience was awful. The only joys were the excursions that my wife and I went on. I feel like everything on the ship was geared to people my parents age. If you are under the age of 40, expect to be bored onboard. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Continental Deck (2) 7005

small and tight. no room under the bed to put our luggage.

(5)
Total time of 6 hours. 2 hours hike up to the top and about 1.5 hrs down. We had 14 people on our tour. Everyone made it to the top. Breath-taking views. Was slippery and mucky on the way up. Equivalent to walking up 3 stairs at the same time. The heavens opened up on the way back down. Muddy doesn't describe how bad and slippery it was on the way down. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Need to be in shape to do this excursion. Our tour guides were phenomenal (Mr. Rogers). Would definitely recommend if you're in shape.
Read 1069 Reviews

(5)
Paddleboarding was so much fun! My wife had a blast. The only negative was that there wasn't enough time. Would definitely recommend. Bob, our guide, was awesome!
Read 1069 Reviews

Being a volcanic island, the beaches were black sand. My wife and I decided to look around town. Around the pier had a fence with 20-30 taxi drivers shouting at you to take a tour of the waterfalls. Area was very sketchy. Guards with rifles didn't have the right feel for tourists to look around. Felt very uncomfortable in Dominica (and my wife was born and raised in NYC). Turned right back to the ship and had a sun-day by the pool
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Went on a tour of Fort St. George, overlooking the island and ships. Proceeded to Magazine beach for some R&R. Rum punch was Ok. They shaved some nutmeg for an interesting taste! Seas were rough. Water was warm and had a green tint. Many older people had difficulty entering and leaving the water. The negative was security screening in the esplanade mall. took almost 40 mins to get back into the pier!
Read 357 Grenada Reviews

Took the shuttle from Fredericksted to Christiansted, which was about 40 mins. Not much happening at either locations. Maybe because it was a Sunday? Area was dirty and very disorganized. Very forgettable.