Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by musicpants3: Pros and Cons to the Jewel

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Pros and Cons to the Jewel

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

My mom and I went on Royal Carribbean for the first time. I had done a 12-day Carnival Magic cruise in Europe and my mom has cruised on Holland America twice and Carnival as well.

Day 1- The ship itself is very nice. Everything is super clean! We even saw someone cleaning each individual leaf of the potted plants around the ship! Our stateroom was small. Smaller than any other cruise we have been on. The bathroom was even smaller. The shower doors were nice because they kept the water off of the floor, but there was hardly enough room to reach down to shave! We chose the 6pm dinner time- table for 2. We were seated right next to the kitchen and all of the waiters touched the back of my chair as they went into the kitchen. Our meal was horrible! It took and hour and a half to get through everything. Our appetizer took 20 minutes to come out, then it was another 20 minutes where our dirty dishes were just left in front of us. My mom ordered her steak medium-rare and it came More back well-done and my steak was cooked properly but very fatty. My mom would have sent it back, but our waiter didnt check on us until she was full from eating the side dishes. Then we wanted cappuccino with dessert and their machine was down:( Veyr dissapointing experience :( We told the head waiter, he apologized and said tomorrow would be better. On a positive note, the comedian was excellent :)

Day 2- At sea- It was a very nice and relaxing day, the fitness center is awesome! I went rock climbing and played games. My mom took advantage of the library on the ship and we had a great day... until dinner. We asked to change our seats but there weren't any 2 person tables left. We had terrible service again, but at least the food tasted good. Another hour and a half dinner. I dont mind taking my time, but I really dislike dirty dishes neglected. The show was amazing though! Broadway quality :)

Day 3-Cozumel- This was my absolute favorite day! Great shopping, really nice locals, we went on a "Razor Extreme Off-Road Beach" excursion that was fabulous! Great all around! We had a late lunch, so we called the dining room and asked to move our time to 830 for the night. We had the best dinner ever. We were seating near the center of the dining room, at a 6-person table for just the two of us. The service was outstanding! Everything tasted amazing! We liked it so much, that we decided that our last day we would also eat at 830:) Again, the comedian was hilarious, as was the battle of the sexes game!

Day 4-At sea- This day was BORING! There were no activites during the day that we wanted to do:( It was all actions, and jewelry and other activities that try to sell you something. I just went to the gym then swam in the pool. We went to the early show, Las Pampas, and they were great! Dinner again was spectacular, we sat in a different spot and the waiters were great:) We went back to the room to pack. My mom decided that she wanted room service for breakfast since it was probably going to be crowded for breakfast. She put the room service tag on the door.

Day 5-The end! So, my mom put 8-830 for breakfast time, and around 815 she opened the door and noticed the tag still there. No one came to pick it up! We thought maybe there was no room service the last day, but then on our trek to the dining hall, we saw empty trays set out by other rooms. She was very disappointed:( Our time to disembark was 8:50. We went to breakfast around 820. We got back at 8:35 and our door was wide open, 2 workers had moved my stuff off of the bed and were changing the sheets! We just stood there while they finished saying "We only have 2 hours to get the ship ready". They just kept going while we stood there with our stuff piled on the couch! We even put the "do not disturb" Card in the door, but they disregarded that! I was very upset. We weren't supposed to be out of our room yet. They saw our stuff on the bed- moved it- and didnt care, they just went about their business. Its a good thing my mom put her wallet in the safe during breakfast.

OVERALL: Entertainment- GREAT!
Fitness Center- Top of the Line!
Food- ok
Dining Experience 6pm- HORRIBLE
8pm- EXCELLENT! Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 9005

Small room (just like the rest that we peeked into) VERY small bathroom! Great location on Ship! Nice and quiet.