Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by jacketwatch: Holyland on the Connie. Departing IST on 10/26/11

jacketwatch
Member Since 2006
1,515 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Holyland on the Connie. Departing IST on 10/26/11

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Istanbul

This was our first cruise on Celebrity and I will say now it won't be our last. However there were a few "in between" moments. Lets begin at embarkation. We went to the port a bit early like we usually do only to find out that embarkation had been delayed d/t cleaning necessitated by a noro virus outbreak on the previous cruise. Oh well what can you do. Better to do this and try to be as sure as possible that the next cruise will not be so afflicted.
When we finally go a chance to embark there is one thing we noticed right off. Never have we felt so welcomed on any other of our previous 8 cruises. The professionalism was really apparent and it stayed this way throughout our 12 night cruise.
Overall this was a great cruise as the ports, esp. the 4 days in Israel were amazing. This is where history was made and I just can't say enough about how luck we were to have been to so many places of such importance.
The staff was amazing as I mentioned above. For most of More the cruise they had to go through greay lenghts to serve even condiments by hand to the passengers as unfortunatley the noro virus hit yet again. The crrew did all they could but nv is very hard to contain. Unfortunately it hit me as well but only for a day or two and the worst of it was when we had a day at sea so I was lucky in a way.
The cabin stewards and the wait staff we amazing. Again there were very professional as was just about everyone we met including the CD Keith and the hotel director Julain Brackenbury. The shows were OK. We enjoyed the broadway type productions especially though the hypnotist was just so so. We actually left half way through the show.
Overall the ship itself was immaculate. I am not familiar with how she looked B4 the "Solisizing" make over but I was very impressed.
Now lets talk about the food, perhaps the most subjective ctiticism of any cruise. For me it was good, not great. I had a few entrees that were just OK but overall it was pretty good. I would stick to the right side of the menu or the specials which tended to be better than the anytime offerings from the left side. However there was one rather sticky issue. My wife preordered Indian food as we always have on our previous 8 cruises and this was acknowledged by a note we received upon entrance into our cabin. Well to make along story short Celebrity fell short of the mark here. In other words the Indian food we have been served on our other cruises, 4 with Princess, 2 with RCI and 2 on CCL was much better. On the Connie the chef served basically the same dinners every night for 12 nights. We asked the maitre 'd Alex to see if we could get some variety. All she wanted was a vegetable eally and despite asking him repeatedly and even writiting something down nothing worked. Alex was rather embarresed about this as he really tried. The last night what the chef made was inedible. Imagine apple pie that tasted like a turnip. Thats how off this chicken dish was. Sigh.
Too bad as this tainted how well everyone else performed. After some f/u Celebrity agreed to a generous OBC for the next cruise d/t to this issue. Bravo!
Now the only other issue was our self disembarkation. We were told to meet on the 4th floor lounge at a certain time which we did. Fine. The it was announced that we could all go so there was this mass of people withy luggage trying to get an elevator. It took some time and finally we took and up elevator just to get on one. I think a more organized way to self disembark would be better.
Again though this was an excellent cruise and we are looking f/w to cruising with Celebrity again, hopefully on the Equinox next fall. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation Concierge Class Panorama Deck (8)

Do a pre or post cruise stay in IST if you can. Great city to see.
Read 260 Istanbul Reviews