Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Chadk404

Cruise Date: September 2011
Cabin Category: 8C
Rates 5+

Good but not the best
Before I start this review I would like to let you all know that this was my first carnival cruise and my family and I generally always go on royal or celebrity. Also this was before the make over of this ship

Since this was my friends first cruise we decided to go on carnival over royal as the price was not as much and if he hated it we wouldn't have wasted too much money. Let me just say you get what you pay for, but don't let that deter you from this ship! It was still a good vacation.

Embarkation was atrocious. We got to the port way to early since we took a 6am flight down from dc to make the boat. When we got to the port they clearly weren't ready for passengers, but took us anyways. We waited and waited and waited and never got a boarding number. As they started boarding group 5 I went and asked about it. The manager handled this well and personally escorted us onto the ship with our luggage that was never checked.

The ship- Carnival Decor is a bit too flashy for me but very fun. It was a very clean ship however the layout of it is horrible! As if they are trying to create crowds all over on purpose! The buffet was never organized nor did you know where to wait in line half the time. The promenade by the casino is one of the only ways to get to the aft dining room and was always crowded. All in all I accepted it and worked around it. Just pray you have good weather otherwise the inside of the ship is overwhelming with the amount of people.

Stateroom- standard and clean. Very pink. The balcony was much smaller than royal or celebrity but still nice!

Jamaica - we did dunn river falls which is always a good time. Jamaica is probably the worst place in the Caribbean with people getting in your face, literally, to sell you stuff. I understand it's how you make a living but Jamaica is ridiculous.

Grand cayman was canceled due to weather and we continued to the Yucatan coast for our new port Costa Maya. This port was rather interesting as they are still building it. We did snorkeling around the coral reefs off the coast.

Cozumel- this port always amazes me with how many ships are there at once and I always find something new to do. We did the mayan ruins of tulum and if you haven't been, go! It was marvelous! The only down side is that it takes all day.

Food- I was a bit concerned with this from what I had read but was surprised that the food was quite good. We didn't eat in the buffet after the first day and I wouldn't recommend it at all (even if it was the same food in the dining room) Room service was also rather disappointing compared to the other lines. We went to the supper club and this is the only thing carnival puts the other lines to shame at. $30 a person for impeccable service and amazing food!

The thing that really upset me about this line was how they handled the little things. Champagne not in your room, fixing your excursions after canceling a port, ect. To most this may sound stupid but its unnecessary stress on vacation. Personally I would rather pay more for all the little things to be ironed out. At the end of the day for what we paid for it was still a pretty good vacation.

Publication Date: 02/04/12