Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by turbocuervo: Celebrity Eclipse knocks it out of the park

turbocuervo
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Eclipse knocks it out of the park

Sail Date: January 2012

My wife and I recently spent an amazing week aboard Eclipse. My wife was 18 weeks pregnant at the beginning of the cruise. I want to share our experience with other cruisers and those who may be cruising while expecting.

Embarkation:
Smoothly and quickly handled, a short wait after check in, as the ship had not quite cleared customs. A glass of champagne awaited us at the gangway after the obligatory boarding photo. Once aboard, we proceeded to the Oceanview Cafe for a bite to eat. From the moment we stepped aboard, the crew made us feel welcome. Not once did we get anything less than a smile and a greeting from whoever we passed. As the cruise progressed we were also asked if we were enjoying our holiday. Several times we were also told that our input was very important to the crew.

Crew:
In a word, excellent. Since my wife was showing, all the bartenders, somelliers etc, began to offer her water or non alcoholic options when I ordered my drinks. We both More booked premium non alcoholic packages which we found to be very economical. Our cabin stewards and wait staff were fantastic! All aspects of service on the Eclipse are easily the best we have ever experienced on a holiday.

Entertainment:
This is perhaps the only area that I could see some small room for improvement. The talent was top notch, but at times the production value was maybe not quite there. Do not miss 'Eclipse', the Cirque style show. Amazingly talented performers, with a great set, but a little muddy as far as any kind of story line goes. The pianist, ventriloquist, and comedian were all excellent. The string quartet, band, acapella group and jazz group are all very talented.

Food:
Our first night was a birthday dinner in Murano, the specialty restaurant that is F.rench continental style dining. I have worked in a similar dining room, so I have high expectations of service and quality. We were not disappointed. The food was flawless in taste and presentation. Service was attentive and intuitive. When I asked our head waiter, Fernando, for Bananas Foster (not on the menu) he made it no question asked at the table perfectly. Another excellent dinner was had at Tuscan Grille. Top notch food and service here as well. The MDR staff were awesome, Glorio and his assistant waitstaff were fabulous! Always smiling and gracious. The food in the MDR was also very good and well presented. We had excellent table mates, and will hopefully see them all again on a future cruise. The only gripe I had with all the dining rooms was some inconsistency in the steak temperatures, but it doesn't seem to matter where one eats, dining rooms worldwide can be hit and miss with medium rare, etc.

Stateroom:
Nicely appointed balcony stateroom. Very comfortable bed. The pillow choices from the concierge class menu had a pleasant surprise for us: a body pillow that was recommended for expectant mothers! Great idea, very intuitive and very helpful for my wife. The cabin stewards employed my wife's sunglasses on a towel animal they left in our room to hilarious effect. Fresh fruit in our fruit bowl each day, and excellent room service. Great Apple-powered tv system through which you can track your stateroom account, and view all your photographs. I have read some complaints about a lack of storage room in the staterooms, but for seven days, it was more than adequate for the two of us. The head is beautifully appointed, lots of room for toiletries, hooks for wet bathing suits. Doors rather than a shower curtain is brilliant!

Ship:
The Eclipse is a beautifully appointed ship that feels like a floating five star boutique hotel. The art collection is tasteful and spectacular. The Hot Glass Show on the lawn is a can't miss experience. Really loved the lawn under the stars. The pool areas are well attended and always clean. The solarium area is peaceful and relaxing. Good sized casino, but the slots seemed really tight, and the lack of a five dollar minimum blackjack table gets our thumbs down. Bars are awesome. Try the Molecular bar, and the Martini bar. Great tenders!

In closing, we would not hesitate to sail with Celebrity again. I have read some negative reviews, and now I find myself wondering what it would take to make these folks happy. We can't say enough about how well we were treated by everyone we dealt with. The Eclipse is a beautiful ship, with a fantastic crew, and in a cruise vacation you can't ask for more. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Concierge Class Panorama Deck (9) 9330

Very nicely appointed stateroom. Balcony view is sweet! Concierge class is nice bonus, with some added perks like a choice of pillows (body pillow available for expecting mothers!), nicer robes, bottle of sparkling wine. Cabin stewards were fantastic!

Old San Juan and San Cristobal are beautiful and fascinating.
Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

Truly paradise. Great atmosphere on both sides of the island, French and Dutch.