Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by mac21

Member Name: mac21
Cruise Date: January 2012
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Everything you want to know about the Epic
My husband & I just recently vacationed on the Norwegian Epic. The ship is enormous compared to all the ship when we pulled into port good thing? I like the comment that someone wrote that big is not always better & I truly believe that in this case. I think that my husband & I both syked ourselves out thinking this was going to be the best of all 3 cruises that we have been on & I'd like to say I was a bit disappointed. First of all I think they should rename the ship to the nickle & dime you ship...Seems like everything you wanted to do costed extra $. I'm surprised that they didn't make you pay to use the pool. I don't know how you are but when I have already payed 700+ $ to be on the ship the last thing that I want to do is pay for all the extras. The ice bar was a thing that my husband & I were looking forward to visiting but we never did because you guessed it you have to pay 20$ to get in for 45min but wait you get a free drink ! Also they have a bowling alley believe it's 6lanes 5$ a game a person. Casino gets pretty Smokey!

The food was just average to say the least we never used the restaurants that you have to pay to eat @ so I'm not sure how those ones where. I did however talk to a lady & her husband @ the airport that were on the same ship & I never mentioned one-thing to her about the food she actually mentioned it to me that they thought the food was average as well & they did a dinner show & she said the food was terrible. If you are looking to eat @ the 2 restaurants that are included the food was good nothing to brag home about though. The buffet is also included which is good the breakfast was the best out of the 3 meals the food however does not change. The selection was average. There also is a restaurant that is open 24hrs it's ok kind-of like bar food maybe a little worse. The wings were good though the mozzarella sticks I could have made better in my microwave. The staff is very impassable you don't get to know your servers since it is a "free style dinning" The service was good not great like I have had on previous cruise ships. I think cause your not having the same person ever night @ dinner they know that your tip is included so they don't go the extra for you. We waited several times for 10min for refills then our apps took forever & when they came we didn't even have them finished before dinner came.

Entertainment on the ship was pretty good we did all of the shows & out of all of them the Legend's in concert was my favorite. Second city comedy group I thought was horrible.. We walked out & the next night I also seen a few groups walk out. You have to have "RESERVATIONS" for most shows & you can book them so many days prior to your vacation. We didn't know this so for almost all the shows we waited for the second chance to get in. If you didn't arrive 10min before show started your seats where given to the people waiting in the second chance line. We always got in this way. The group that plays @ the Howell @ the moon bar is "awesome" called the dueling piano. Blues bar is also good. Bingo is a rip off we payed 49$ for the second best game along w/100+ other people & the pay out is @ most 200$ 275$ cover all, this is 3games. The watch sale was good a bit like black friday shopping but def worth it $19.99 watches worth men's 89.99 & women's 99.99. We didn't bring our kids but there seemed like a lot for them to do w/the water slides, rock wall, basketball court & kiddie pool area. Looked neat!!

I visited the spa on my vacation. Seriously out of everything this was the thing I walked away most pissed about. I payed a $140 for a massage, 2nd worst massage I have ever had in my life!! I wish I would have complained about it but felt too bad to. Again I syked myself out thinking that the spa would we so great...wrong! The room was very cold, no aroma, no music so you could hear everything when the other staff w/clients were walking in the hall. The lady missed the whole center of my back & when she massaged my head (I had a hair tie in) she was literally riping my hair that it hurt so bad I had to ask her to take out my hair tie. I definitely didn't think it was worth the $$ Get a massage on the beach cheaper & way better! Also when I wrote my review once I got home I put that I wanted someone from the ship to contacted me about my spa experience 3wks later haven't hear a word.

The excursions book up fairly fast so if there is something you want to do don't wait to book it. We did the Nassau Sub Bahamas adventure payed 140$ a person on the website it's 118.99 but it is a 45min bus ride so you would pay more than $20 a person extra in a taxi so I suggest going w/the cruise ship that way you know your safe & gonna get back to the ship in time. St. Martin we visited a beach paired up w/other people & took a taxi so the rate was cheaper 20min taxi ride can't rem the beach name but went para-sailing for 90$ for two way cheaper than the one on the ship only suggestion make sure to ask that you get to ride together..We just assumed you did & ended up going separate so was a little bummed.

The rooms were very nice!!

Drinks are all around 7$ 15% added to all & 18% gratuity added to spa. The gym is AWSOME on the ship!!

Hope this will be a help to you! Happy sailing!!

Publication Date: 02/03/12