Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by juju2454: Silhouette 12 day January 17th-29th 2012

juju2454
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Southern Caribbean Cruises

Silhouette 12 day January 17th-29th 2012

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

We were on the Silhouette from the 17th of January until the 29th, what a wonderful time was had by all....
Where to begin?
Hotel: We stayed at the Best Western west airport which was renovated since we last stayed and the renovations are lovely, we got there @4:30 PM from Central NY and had no traffic issues, check in was a breeze, the room was lovely and we had a quiet evening to relax before the cruise, we ate out ( nothing fancy as we LOVE Popeye's chicken so we indulged as we have none near us) and it was a good choice for the grandsons as well. We also enjoyed a lovely breakfast of waffles, cereals, juices, coffee, teas, bagels, breads, cream cheese, English muffins, jams, honey again all included. We booked for the 11:30 port shuttle, my only complaint was that we booked our room a year and a half in advance yet the shuttle was booked according to when you checked in, sorta unfair but for the money our cars were stored the entire 12 days inclusive for $203 a More room we had 2 rooms (8 people) the shuttle was on time. The driver was very pleasant and chatted with us the entire drive.
Embarkation: We arrived at the port and immediately got a porter and we were into the passport area within minutes, cards were issued swiftly, ( we are not elite or Captains club) and we were quickly in the next room and within 10 minutes we were on the ship champagne/mimosas in hand, all told about ½ hour from start to finish.
Boarding:
We went up 1 flight of stairs from deck 2 to deck 3 and caught an elevator to deck 12 to the OVC where we enjoyed a lovely lunch selection of hot roast beef, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sandwiches, salads, fruits, pastas, pizza, cold cuts, cheeses, and a host of other foods to delight just about anyone. The croissants on the bread area were huge and just so flaky I had them every day... along with artesian breads of roasted garlic or olive, coffee, tea, guava/orange/pineapple juice, apple juice, orange, were delicious as well. To have left hungry would have been one's own fault...
We had just finished our lunch when the announced that the state rooms were now ready, what perfect timing!
Staterooms:
We had inside staterooms (not fond of seeing the water from my room) on the 8th deck in a "mini wing" of the ship, three together, 8145 was mine. Very Quiet!! The middle room was a quad for my daughter and her family of 4, with a drop down bed from the ceiling. the beds were nice a comfortable and we loved the curved foot area! So easy to walk around! Safe fit my laptop and our documents plus other incidentals we wanted locked up but many times we never worried about things and nothing was ever missing. I trusted our room stewards and they didn't dissappoint me. The rooms were beautiful and our room stewards introduced themselves immediately, Antonio and Solomon, who were attentive throughout the entire cruise, always asking if there was anything we needed, always greeting us several times a day, always making sure our room was to our liking, and any request (I asked for extra bath towels) was always fulfilled without reminders. Always high fiving my grandsons! Several times when one of our parties locked themselves out they were right there to let them in, and another time when I had my daughter's key and it was being picky... Solomon was right there to let me in (as he had already locked in that we were a party of 8). Bed straightened and towels replaced several times a day. The rooms were spacious enough and we had plenty of suitcases (that were mostly there already) that all fit under our beds (mine alone had 4 very large, 1 large dufflebag for shoes, and a 32 count package of water under it). The bathroom had lots of cupboard space and a few drawers so our many (many) vanity items all fit easily. The shower was lovely and I got spoiled by the leg shaving bar (a must for us ladies) so now I want one at home! I did use the shampoo and conditioner and hubs used the bar soap and both were fine. The hair dryer can be used at the vanity or moved to the bathroom and was plenty strong enough that it dried my hair in no time. Attention to detail was never an issue! We asked to have our bar fridge emptied and within minutes it was, as we had brought our 2 wines and I brought soda as they don't carry diet soda without aspartame aboard... I am a huge over packer( but used everything I did pack as I like to change clothes all day) and we fit everything just great! 4 very large suitcases, 2 carry on suitcases, 2 duffle bags, 2 backpacks, and 2 folding wardrobes for formal wear.
Service: impeccable, from room to dinner to pool to counters.
Pool: They didn't open the solarium to children at all even on cold days, have to say I was disappointed there, also the outside pool is nice but there is a divider for adult and children which again I didn't care for with my grandchildren with me, I think if the solarium is adult only the main pool should never be anything adult, but that said on the children's side people complained when the splashed, I spoke up, come on it IS the children's pool side, so move to the adult and leave the fun to them! Also all four hot tubs were always full of older people who would complain when a child (8 & 6) splashed on the child's side of the pool, or attempted to get in with us in the one hot tub for children...(yes there was one). Remember they are the future of the cruise lines... teach them now and they will want to go as adults.
2nd night: formal night did not encounter anyone with less than a suit or a tux, hubs and grandsons were tuxed and the grandsons stole the show!! Ladies were mostly in long gowns.
St Thomas: was as lovely as I remember, sunny perfect weather, leaving and re-boarding was quick and efficient. Oddly some liquor was kept others went through...without question. Got lovely jewelry at great prices.
St. Kitts: Again easy off and on, excursion to Zip line was great!!! What a rush!! Even the 8 & 6 year old go to do it and had a blast!! Thank you to .
St. Lucia: Weather was lovely, On and off easy, did the Horseback riding with Trimms, what a great ride, got to take them out in the ocean barebacked that was a new thing to master wet slippery horse galloping in water. such fun though!! Again all of us went including the grandsons and they had a blast!! Bought alcohol brought on board, and was not confiscated and not concealed. Also second formal night again 95% were dressed up. A few were not they stood out...
St. Johns: On an off easy peasy. Weather was perfect! Did the Black Swan excursion, was for morning but ended up being changed to afternoon, snorkeling over a sunken ship, swinging off the ship via rope and dropping in, walking the plank(or getting pushed in our case by each other!), and beach time, plenty of island punch what a too fun time we had(maybe TOO fun as we were all pretty tipsy lol) we had the people on Silhouette and next door was Eclipse we came back between them dancing on the Black Swan, and getting others on their verandas to dance with us on both side...with both ships! they could see us and hear the music!!! Bought liquor and was not stopped to take on board and was not concealed...
Sint Maarten: Beautiful weather, On an off in a snap, water taxi a bit slow, but we went to the main shopping area( be careful they make 2 stops and one is in a marina) 6$ all day pp. We bought more jewelry and got great prices, bought still more alcohol and was not hidden and not taken from us.
MDR: The food was over all excellent, and the service was beyond perfect. OVC food was always tasty, finding a table occasionally was difficult, but most times not an issue, lots of choices every day. Those croissants were there every day YUM! Only complaint would be the lack of food around 4:30 -- 5:00 when the 8:30 diners were looking for a light bite.
Return home: Third formal night was second to last sea day, dressy all the way.... we had a star, star, star called out to the staff (someone had passed away but apparently it was their wish to be on the Silhouette when it happened). Water was starting to build waves but the stabilizers did their job and we had a fairly smooth ride, we were also informed when we were avoiding storms(a few times). Captain was very communicative and friendly officers always strolling about at intervals with a friendly hello.
Entertainment: Velosity was good, Silhouette the show was great with a circ de sol portion amazing on a moving ship. Last night on board comedian was very funny but I didn't see the entire show so I don't know his name.... as we came late.
Casino: was quiet until about 7:00 most nights, the tables are open except for craps, the craps table was always busy as were the slots, Won most nights on that !!
Hideaway: very nice for reading on sea days, coffee and tea, plenty of places to sit, loved the cages!!! And the pods! And it was on my floor!! Downside, music from main floor is quite loud and permeated the area at 5:00 pm so made reading impossible. Also many people came to take pictures and would stand and talk loud, same in Library.
Lounge chairs: had a few chair hogs, but pool staff was diligent and removed items after 30 -45 minutes. Pool side chairs were almost always filled with elderly who wanted to hold several.
Martini bar: one word Flirtini!!!! Delish the rest of my party had a
bananasplitini, appletini, greygoose classic and all made perfectly!
Molecular bar: Great fun, fascinating drinks!! Forget the names of our drinks though....
Cellar Master: the one time I went in the sommelier was rather rude when asked about the wine.
Gelateria: Yummy and 2 generous scoops for 3$ or 4 scoops for $5!!
Sky lounge: met up with many from this board in roll call, spot is lovely and perfect for sail away!!! Thanks NJ girl!!
Fitness center: very nice!!! Lots of machines, little if any waiting, helpful staff, and ice cold towels in a fridge to cool down with!!! Machine ipod enabled or tv or ship radio with free headsets to use for the latter 2.

Elevators: we for the most part never really waited long for them and used them a fair amount of the trip, but the usual squishing of older people who didn't want to wait occurred frequently, ( yes it was always elderly pushing in on this cruise) or worse the scooter who insisted it could fit with 15 in the already!!! Then ran over peoples toes in the attempt. Many times I got off and waited for the next elevator rather than be mashed because people didn't want to wait and decided others could be squashed in the back as they pushed in.. Or we got off and took the stairs.

Pictures: while the settings were nice many times the pictures included the elevators in the background with people in them..... And the prices were high. I bought only 2, but would have bought more if they had been better prices. Fortunately we had great cameras so we could replicate many. Oddly no one was taking pictures off the beautiful stair case, as most nights there was dancing crowding it, we ended up taking our own very early in the afternoon dressed up. Such a shame!
Kids Club: We literally had to pull the boys out to get lunch or dinner.... They wanted to stay and play they had such a good time there, only about 15 children in the entire cruise. We had many people compliment us on our two grandson's behavior. Plenty to do there and they had a blast! Begged to go back as soon as they could!!
Disembarking: We had a 9:45 time and were off by 10:30 the busses were a bit of an issue, people budged a lot. We had all our papers filled out about declaring including all alcohol, and no one even looked at it, we went through the line in less than 10 seconds, (we could have had 100 bottles of alcohol and no one ever saw it as nothing was scanned) our shuttle to the hotel was there within 5 minutes and we were on our way driving home!
The ship is stunning, the staff amazing, the food delish! Much to do, Bingo! was lots of fun( it didn't hurt either that I won!!) Art around the ship beautiful wanted to do the bead shop but it was only 10 people so it filled fast. In fact most of the art things were only 10 people and filled by 10 the first day.
Six of the people of our 8 were new cruisers, they are now cruise addicts!!! Celebrity you were wonderful!! I can't wait till we meet again!! Silhouette you are beautiful!!! Thank you for a 12 day wonder filled spectacular time!!
Sorry such a long review, but wanted to include everything!! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Inside Stateroom Panorama Deck (9) 8145

Plenty of room for clothes in closet, drop down bars a big plus!! Bathroom was large, lots of cabinet space and cupboard space, under bed storage excellent, vanity was just a little small but adequate for me, drawer under was large, drawers for clothes was fine, TV large!! Sofa perhaps a bit big but manageable. only complaint, door to this cabin opens out to an intersection to the main hall and the door open OUT so if you are in any state of undress and someone enters or leaves you are pretty exposed to hall traffic. this was somewhat inconvenient as we were in three separate rooms so would come and go amongst each others rooms chatting and getting ready for dinner etc... I think the three doors should have been together and out of the intersection. room can be a bit tricky to find as it is in an off hallway and easily passed by.( I did few times) but is is very quiet.

The Black swan was very much fun!!!! we had booked in the morning but were changed for what ever reason to the afternoon, it did kind of blow the day as the morning was not enough time to do much on the island before having to be at the dock for this excursion would still have liked morning so we could do stuff in the afternoon. but would book again.

Trimms horseback riding was fantastic!! Very helpful staff and very informative!!

Lovely and lots to do the shopping was great!!!

As we remembered beautiful and full of history!!!as always shopping was plentiful and much was bought!!!
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews