Carnival Pride Cruise Review by MsWarmNFuzzy: Carnival Pride the Good and the Bad

MsWarmNFuzzy
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Carnival Pride the Good and the Bad

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on Carnival Pride leaving out of Baltimore, Maryland. We chose this cruise as there were 5 adults and we were hoping to save a few dollars by driving from Cobourg, Ontario, Canada (a 10 hour drive) and saving on the air fare. This worked out really well as we spent just over $200.00 in gas divided by 5 that worked out to a big savings!

We also went a day early and stayed at the Best Western Plus BMI Airport. It cost me $141 with taxes and we left our vehicle there for the whole week. They provided a shuttle to and from the Port and it was only about a 30 minute wait to be picked up. Other than tipping the really nice driver, there were no additional costs and the hotel was really clean with a nice breakfast included.

We were not really optimistic after reading some negative reviews about the Pride but were pleasantly surprised as the ship was much nicer than we anticipated. We had previously travelled on the Liberty and noted More a real difference in the ambiance but once we got used to it, we were very comfortable.

The only downside of cruise was that we left Baltimore in the cold weather and with 2 days at sea, it did not warm up until we reached the Bahams so no one was really out using the pool. There were two pools but for some reason they only had one open the entire time although all 3 hot tubs were working. The adult only section on the Serentiy deck was really comfy with hammocks, and large loungers. We had 3 in one cabin and two in another with adjoining baloncies which they opened up for us so that we had one large balcony. We lost a little bit of the view from the open door blocking slightly but it was well worth it. The extended balcony was nice too with plenty of leg room. We had two smokers with us so we used the balacony quite a bit.

I will note that the cabin was not as clean as I would have liked. Our stewart Joel introduced himself when we arrived and was really friendly but there were tooth paste splatters on the backsplash in the bathroom and the glass shelves were dusty and dirty. This never changed through the whole week. There was also hair on the desk where the last person had been blow drying their hair and the main part of the cabin was dusty. On the 4th day, our room stewart changed and the new one we got completely missed cleaning our friends room next door in 7162 on one occasion. They also never re-plenished our room service cards so if we wanted to put it on the door to have coffee brought to our room in the morning we couldn't.

Compared to the Liberty, the food on this ship was not quite as good. A number of times our food was cold in the middle i.e. lasagna. The diningroom staff were fabulous. Our server Heidi was absolutely the best and we made a point to eat in the diningroom the last night just so we could say good-bye.

There was a manager looking after the Lido Deck buffets that seemed to be constantly there and if you even looked like you were having an issue he was right there to help. I went up to get a decaf coffee and the machine was out so he immediately had someone bring me a coffee to my table.

I previously mentioned the Serenity deck for adults only that was really relaxing but the only downside was when we decided to use the pool and there was a brown slick floating on top. I am not sure if it was a culmination of suntan lotions or what but it looked really nasty so we did not use it.

This being my 3rd cruise and the 4th for my daughter who was with me we tend to not get too worked up about things that might not be quite right. There were far more positives than negatives and I would say the cruise was an 7 out of 10. We really enjoyed the Kennedy Space Center tour (our first time), and Bahamas was beautiful. The "straw markets" were pretty much all selling the same things but we noted in Nassau that you could dicker on prices. Our friends booked an excursion for beach resort and shopping in Freeport. The weather was not looking great when we arrived but it turned out to be a nice day and our friends said the beach was fabulous and the resort very modern and clean. The shopping was walking distance from the beach so they just sauntered over.

The grand finale for our trip was dinner at David's Restaurant on the ship. Please don't miss out if you can help it, the food was absolutely fabulous!

Would we go on the Pride again? Probably not. For those that like a quiet serene cruise you should definitely consider it but we rather liked the party atmosphere of the Lido deck on the liberty. I love to people watch and found there wasn't much of anything to watch on the Pride as it seemed that people did not really congregate to any one particular spot on the ship. Everything was sort of spread out. That said, we will definitely use Carnival again for our next cruise as we already purchased our certificates that are good for the next 2 years with a $100 credit. Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Verandah 7160

With 5 of us, we had cabins 7160 and 7162. Both had extended balconies and we had the staff open the door between the two so we could share one large balcony which was really nice. You have to go to the guest services desk to arrange this as soon as you can and they came the next morning and opened it for us. We lost a bit of our view in 7160 as the door swung in our side but it was definitely a plus being able to walk from one cabin to the next. Especially as we had two smokers who used the balcony a lot. We had 3 of us in cabin 7160 and found we still had enough room to get around the room as there was plenty of storage with 3 large cupboards, 2 small cupboards and 4 drawers. There were also two small end tables beside the beds with storage under each. The showers were really good and no flooding on the floor which is always nice. The staff allowed us to take all the supplies out of the mini bar fridge and we used that to keep our own wine and soft drinks. The rooms show as being "mid ship" but we were really closer to the front of the ship. All in all, there was not a lot of movement with the exception of our last night when we were travelling 25 knots and it was a bit choppy. We joked as the life boats were just one level below us so you could actually jump from our balcony. That said, they were not close enough to block our view of the water. My son-in-law has a bad foot and we were not as close to the buffets on the lido deck as we would have liked. We had to go up 2 flights then about half way across the ship to get to the buffet area we preferred. That said, it really was not that far if you have two good feet. Instead of running up for coffee on our own in the morning, we just ordered room service which always came very promptly. I would definitely book those rooms again if I were to go back onto this ship.

The 5 of us in our group decided to try the glass bottom boat and shopping excursion. It was less than $50 each and we actually really enjoyed it. We were picked up by boat and taken for a tour a little further out of the harbour and the captain was quite funny and informative pointing out all the rich and famous homes along the way to get to our glass bottom boat. The "semi-sub" was better than I expected and they gave us a tour showing us some coral, colourful fish and a ship wreak that really wasn't much of a ship wreak. I had already been on the submarine ride at Cozumel so this one rather paled compared to that but it was still enjoyable. The only down side was the fellow commentating and all he kept saying was "good eating" about every fish. The captain above would throw out food for the fish to attract them to the boat so we did see a pretty good variety of fish and even some stingrays. After being dropped back off at the Harbour, we took a walk downtown to the straw market and bought a few items there. There were also some nice jewelery shops and clothing stores along the way. Overall, the port was very nice and the streets clean and safe with police on every corner.
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Our family are definitely trekkies so could not miss the Kennedy Space Center tour. We paid the extra $30 to get the extended tour that took us by bus up close to the various launch pads, buildings and equipment. It was well worth it. We were only slightly rushed but we managed to take in both the IMAX 3D Show that was fantastic and also the interactive shuttle ride. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My Son-in-law and our friends were not into the space thing so they took in a little shopping and quite enjoyed themselves.