Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by thamesbarge: My Caribbean Cruise

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

My Caribbean Cruise

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

All in all this was a great cruise. This is 5 times on the Explorer and we are going again in April 12/12. Staff were great. Executive Chef Patrick McCabe and his wife were the best of hosts as well as our waiter "ZORO" and his asst. Our Mater'd who brought curry every night for one of our group of 16 deserves our strongest praise and thanks. Met another group of 70 that we enjoyed being with and will see again. Maria from Portofinio's was as always an exceptional waiter and friend. Among all these was our Captain Olaf a gracious host and exceptional gentleman.

As far as the smell of sewage that was on the port side midships, this has been there since we first came aboard 3 years ago, and has not gotten any better. I think it will be there until a refit is done in the future. The toilets in the men's and ladies rest rooms on the Ice rink level have always been a problem as well.

As a guest of the Diamond member we traveled with we wish to say thanks to all we met More there for making us feel comfortable and an enthusiastic thanks to our waiters and especially our friend Cathy in Dizzy's. Our next cruise qualifies us for Emerald so we will be a Diamond shortly, and able to spend more time up there with you. Looking forward to that. Looking out at the bow from deck 14 give you a real appreciation for the sea especially in 12 ft seas.

Sorry to see that RCI is cutting out the 12 day cruises out of Bayonne. This to me is a serious mistake as travellers from nearby states and Canada find it really convenient to access this port. I hope they reconsider this decision. That's it for me. Hope to see you again sometime. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 6519

One of the things that really worries me is that in the hallway there were a number of mobility devices which made it really difficult at times to get past. This has been gradually getting more cluttered each time we cruise on the Explorer. I don't know how other ships deal with this problem (as I see it.) When we heard of the problem with the ship in Europe tipping over I was wondering if this had been our ship would there have been a really big problem for people to try and get out of the ship? I think so!!!! These motorized wheelchairs and scooters should be stored in the room and not in the hallway at night. Of course this is my opinion as we stored ours in the room.

A little hard to get into the port itself. Getting off was a problem with the porter. Had a huge problem finding our luggage and then the porter refused to take us to the lot . Said he didn't do that and then left us at the taxi stand so that we had trouble loading our luggage due to the restrictions of personal vehicles not able to go into this section.
Had to carry our own luggage to the car. Will know better next time to tip after our luggage is taken to the car not before