Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Bearcj

Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: other
Cabin Category: JS

Not sure what happened
The embarkation process was fairly painless. We used the regular check in lines when we realized that we could have used the priority lanes since we had a junior suite. We did wait in the priority boarding area though, so that was nice.

Boarding was easy and the first opinions of the ship was great, very large and spacey feeling, got to our cabins around 1.30pm. The junior suites are large and roomy with ample storage space. The walk in closet is a huge bonus. Balcony was a great size too.

After looking around carefully , yes you can see a few rust spots and stains on the carpets, a few scrapes and such but I don't think enough to be off putting. Unless you are going on a brand new ship , you will see some blemishes.

Our state room attendant Ronald was OK. Gave him a $20 tip the first day and he did an OK job for us, nothing overboard but was OK. Got towel animals 4 times out of the 11 nights.

So this is where the review takes an ugly turn.

If you are going to have signs posted explaining to the public what your policies are then they should be correct.....

I read online before we departed that NO TANK TOPS were permitted in the dining room at any time, so I didn't pack any, just sleeveless t-shirts.

The sign out side the dinning room says- no bare feet, no caps and NO TANK TOPS are permitted in the dinning room at any time.

I go to lunch in a sleeveless t-shirt and was refused entry - I know what a tank top is and I was not wearing one, I only had sleeveless t- shirts. I explained that it was not a tank top, and he said I still couldn't come in, YET there were women in the dinning room wearing TANK TOPS. No where on the sign did it say that the rule just applied to men. I went to guest relations and they couldn't give me an answer either, they said it had something to do with armpits, well the French woman with the tank top on had more hair under her arms then I do and she was in the dinning room, so i really don't get it......

Also before boarding I did my research about the privileges that suite members got. Like the private beach on labeerdee in Haiti with the special lunch. So I paid the $1000 upgrade to the junior suite. This is NOT the case. The upgrades only apply to gold members in suites, so I spent an extra $3000 for nothing because I upgraded the three cabins we were all traveling in.BEWARE......

Onto the food ... Easiest way to explain would be

Dinning room,

20% cold

70% Luke warm

10% hot

The selections were not that varied on the menu or the buffet, but the buffet food was at least warm.

Service in the dinning room was varied to say the least, breakfast and lunch, was pot luck on who you got as to how attentive they were and as we had my time dining we managed to get the same table and waiters 80% of the time. The waiter was ok but the assistant waiter , irene, was great.

The service around the ship just seemed to be lacking and a lot of them must have been new as they didn't know what they were doing, looking in every fridge to find a fosters beer..everyone seemed confused..

We went to the up charge restaurant, portifinos. DONT waste your money, I could get better service and food from mcdonalds...very very disappointed.

The worst service I got was from actually guest relations, Francis needs to be retrained on the art of customer service , was very rude and short tempered, and never gave an answer to any of my questions.....

The shows were varied also in quality. Some were ok and some were just boring. Avinash the server in the theatre was amazing, made it enjoyable

After paying $4600 per cabin I was expecting a lot more value for money

The trip overall was ok, a few things just left a bad taste in my mouth. Would have to think long and hard before booking with them again.

Publication Date: 02/01/12