Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by palmtre2: Gem - 1 Nite CTN

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Gem - 1 Nite CTN

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We had a great time, I had only been a a CTN once and my DH never has. Embarkation was crazy with both the Gem and Jewel departing at roughly the same time, once you were through the security checkpoint, staff could have done a better job at directing Gem passengers back to check in. The check in desks were past the boarding gate, you couldn't see them at all. We arrived at the port at 11:30 and were onboard at 1, not too bad even amidst the confusion.

After boarding DH and I like to find a quiet spot to have a cocktail and wait to drop off our bags. On the way to that spot we encounter a great crew member who answered my question about making dinner reservations by dailing a phone for me - I was connected to reservations and got exactly what I wanted - Le Bistro, I found out later they hadn't even set up the reservation desk in the atrium yet, so I was one of the first to make one! We found Magnum's tucked under a stairwell one floor down and had a cocktail there. Some of the More staff seemed like we were a bother but not all. Lunch in the MDR was very slow,but we had to wait to get in the cabin any way. The food at lunch was not very good and the portions were extremely small, I had a Cobb salad that was missing half of the ingredients and was swimming in dressing.

Got to our cabin obstructed view OV 8566, we were on a stretch of hall all by ourselves, it was nice and quiet. Tv was alittle odd the volume would increase all by itself! We only had it on while dressing though. We had booked Le Bistro thank goodness which turned out to be a perfect meal,the fruits de Mer and lamb chops were perfection. We had 6 o'clock reservations so we could see the show.

The show One World was really awful, plays at my daughter's high school have been better and we left half way through. The comedian later in the evening, was good, old jokes but a good delivery kept us laughing. Wandering around and having a few cocktails at Bliss and the Spinnaker and meeting some fine folks along the way. Bliss was fun with the beds and a toga party! If we had more time we would have tried bowling at Bliss. Casino was pretty good to us the roulette wheel spun in our favor!

My husband was looking for something to eat and we when to The Blue Lagoon the hostess said it was closing at 11:30 and we were told they would be open later but to go to the buffet now. The most awful mess awaited us there. There was barely anything edible, it looked like they were slopping the hogs. Every leftover nasty thing from the evening dinner buffet was STILL out, including the mayo (it was turning transparent, it was so old), it was just gross. Dried out hotdogs and grey hamburgers, a chinese beef dish with no noodles or rice, cold cuts with the oldest, hardest bread I have ever seen, is that what they call late night dining. Blue Lagoon never did open again. It makes you wonder, just how much they will cut out before folks have a real fit. Of course we didn't really need to eat again, so we didn't let it get us down. Some people though may stay out later and drink more and/or play more in the casino if they can get a nice late nite snack.

All in all we had a nice time, saw everything we wanted to see and did everything we wanted to do. Would I do another 1 nighter - probably not, but never say never! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 8566

8566 Obstructed view OV - we could still see out through the glass doors of the lifeboat, wasn't a perfect view but not bad for the discount. Cabin is located on a stretch of corridor all by itself with a couple of supply closets across the hall. it was a very quiet location on our cruise. We where on a 1 night cruise to nowhere, so do not know if these closets would normally be accessed alot but they were not used at all on our cruise. Cabin has a front to back orientation - when you walk in the bed is to your left with bath, vanity and closet to your right. We got a couple of chuckles out of being bumped with the bathroom door while trying to get clothes from the closet, didn't bother us on a 1 nighter, a week? maybe so.