Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by dongordon: Beautiful Ship!!

dongordon
Member Since 2001
3,631 Posts

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Beautiful Ship!!

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Other

It has been several years since I was on a Celebrity cruise ship having cruised on the Galaxy and the Millie.
The service and cruise staff are still fantastic, but unfortunately, I must report that IMO their food in the MDR is not the same quality that one had expected in the past and was one of the important items that made the cruise line a favorite in many cruisers' eyes.

I want to start out by saying that everyone has different opinions on certain aspects on cruise ships and my comments are a consensus of 6 others in my family who I cruised with (all adults) and we discussed this new ship in detail throughout the cruise. I am sure others on our cruise will have different views and I welcome their opinions for comparisons.

Here we go:
The Ship is magnificent and the public rooms are unbelievable.
The state room that we had (Aft Balcony) was also wonderful with a great interactive large TV.
The Bathroom was really nice with a beautiful sink and great More shower. Loved the amenities they provide...shampoo, conditioner, lotion (all in small bottles and not in a dispenser like some other ships), also q-tips and cotton balls and plenty of storage space.
Unfortunately, the beautiful stateroom had very little storage space for three people in a cabin on a 12 day cruise. Perhaps for 2 people on a 7 day cruise, but we found this to be a serious negative. We lived with placing clothes on the bottom of the small closet and piling shoes in a corner of the room.

Stateroom attendants....great
Dining Room Staff....great
Cafe al Bacio staff.....the best!
Specialty Restaurant Staff....great, especially the Lawn Grill and Qsine
Entertainment....good to great. Loved the comedian Phil Tag and the Piano Player Kyle Esplin.
"House" Band Sipra....the best on the high seas who gathered increasing numbers of dedicated "cruise groupies" as the cruise went on.
Food: Very Disappointing in the MDR, but the Escargot and French Onion Soup were great and available every night. The people in my group who turned their noses up when I ordered the Escargot ended up ordering it each night when in the MDR.
The fact being that the food in the MDR was so inferior to the specialty restaurants that we ended up going to 4 specialty restaurants instead of two that we planned on for our cruise.
None of them IMO were worth the $40 / person they charge but the Murano which we heard so much about was a major disappointment (not in terms of service), but in the taste of the food. All in our group had eaten in specialty restaurants on NCL and the food was equal or better for almost half the price.
The specialty restaurants seem to have become what the old Celebrity MDR food was like that I experienced several years ago.
The Ocean view buffet was very good most of the time, especially for breakfasts, and at other times, I really enjoyed the salad bar and pasta station.
Martini Bar and Molecular Bar....outstanding!!
Loved the different drink packages and we felt it was worthwhile signing up for it depending on your preference for drinking alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks.
Fun cruise activities (Quest, Theme and Pool Parties) were somewhat lacking and the normally funny and ever popular Newlywed Cruise Game was very disappointing to say the least.

Lastly, the cruise overall was wonderful and I never have been on a cruise I did not enjoy! Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Silhouette Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Silhouette Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Panorama Deck (9)

Aft Facing Balcony Great View Very little storage space Great Bathroom Liked the individual amenities (shampoo, conditioner, cotton swabs, etc.) instead of shower dispensers.

We went to an all-inclusive hotel (Jolly Beach Resort) with a day pass in Antigua and had a lunch buffet(not so good)and drinks (OK) and had the use of the pool and facilities. I thought it was worth the $60 we paid if you took advantage of the drinks. Stick to the beer if you do not like non premium alcohol in your drinks. The facility itself was nice.
Read 796 Antigua Reviews

The ship only docks for a few hours....I decided to stay on the ship, but my two daughters went off and did some shopping which they enjoyed.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

We went to the Buccaneer Hotel and paid $5 to get in and use their facilities (beach and chairs) It was nice and we enjoyed the day

One of our favorite ports. We went to Dawn Beach where we always go. We rented a beach chair and umbrella for $5 and beers brought to you on the beach were 6 for $5....great price. They have a beach bar and restaurant there Mr. Busby's and we always go there each time we visit St. Maarten