Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by wethetraveler: Celebrity Eclipse Jan 14-21, 2012

wethetraveler
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Eclipse Jan 14-21, 2012

Sail Date: January 2012

Links to pictures and daily schedule

Caught a flight from BWI to MIA. Uneventful; departed on time. Landed fifteen minutes early. Retrieved luggage and caught a cab to the cruise terminal. The cab fare was twenty-five dollars (flat rate). I always ask before I get into the cab. Once we arrived at the cruise terminal, I promptly placed two dollars in the hand of the porter and along with a short exchange of pleasantries and then proceeded to terminal G. The boarding process was smooth as usual. I did notice one change, the photo ID was taken at the check-in desk. This does appear to streamline the boarding process by a few minutes. Upon entering the ship, there is still the customary champagne and/or mimosa. Once on board, the first stop was the Oceanview Cafe. This usually is the time of highest occupancy. The food was good and a nice variety. One interesting observation, the plates are square instead of round. I was More used to the round plates on Royal Caribbean. Just something I notice; not a major point of contention.

The plates are also larger but I did not see the usual food hording and waste. We had the late dinning. This was only the second time in ten cruises that this has occurred. It turns out to be a pretty good situation. I was able to see many more sunsets than usual and I could also catch a short nap before dinner. The main dining room menu has two components (one left and one right). The menu on the right side of the dinner menu holder remains the same the entire week. The menu on the right side of the holder changes each night. My initial cruise was on the Celebrity Galaxy in 2003. The food on that cruise was EXCELLENT. The next nine cruises were with Royal Caribbean. Their dinning experience was slightly lower. Now, returning to Celebrity, and after reading many reviews about cruise food, my observations are as follows:

The first and most noticeable change is that the portions have been reduced on both ships (Celebrity and Royal). This does not preclude one from eating what they feel they can consume. It does however; reduce the amount of food waste.

In my opinion, Celebrity caters to an older crowd. With this in mind, there is the need to balance seasoning and taste. I think they have done a very good job with both considering they have to find the common ground for 2800 people at a time. My first main entree was the prime rib (medium). It was tender, pink, juicy and tasty. Surprisingly, the portion almost filled the plate. One night I had the Fillet Mignon. It was so tender I could cut it with my fork. I am a Caesar salad person, midway through the cruise I asked the waiter to double the portion of salad and add blue cheese to the salad. It was great. Every night after that request, my salad was delivered as requested. Each night I had at least 3-4 appetizers from the menu. My favorite drink for the week was the orange passion fruit guava cocktail. I probably drank almost of a gallon each day. Those small cups add up (smile), not to mention the large glasses at dinner.

We are in cabin 7132 (forward Starboard (right) side)). The bed is close to the bathroom. . The room next door to us (7130) was the opposite of our room. Their bed was closest to the room exit door. Our room attendant was top notch. He was very polite and very attentive. If you have any problems, all you have to do is call is cell phone number during the hours of 9am-9 pm (using the room phone). The first leg of the cruise from Miami to San Juan Puerto Rico was very windy. The wind created enough sea spray to render the balcony unusable while at sea unless you enjoy salty sea spray. The room has ample space and storage for two people.

I believe each room has one white bath robe for each guest and one umbrella. Also, as you get closer to your first port, large Celebrity bath towels will magically appear in your room (one per guest). No one had to swipe their seapass card to acquire a towel. The pool towel exchange was executed on the honor system. Each night a piece of flavored chocolate was placed on each guest's pillow. That is still a nice touch. The best change for a regular stateroom is the increased shower stall size. Celebrity still provides cool face cloths and a refreshing drink before boarding the ship at the end of each port of call.

This cruise had a majority of seniors. One must always be on the lookout for the on-board motorized scooter. Most passengers were well behaved. I did witness a passenger complaining about missed finger prints on the wall in his cabin. Really??? He complained for a full ten (10) minutes to the supervisor.

The Oceanview café served the same basic food each day. The food was good with adequate seasoning. A few of my favorite items were the mushy peas, string beans and ginger infused broccoli. The daily assortment of deserts was adequately portioned and tasty. My favorite stop after lunch was the ice cream station for two scoops. They also served the soft frozen yogurt. If you want hamburgers and hotdogs, you have to go to the Mast Grill outside on Dec. 14. The burgers are actually one quarter pound patties and they were very good.

All ports of call were uneventful. We have been to San Juan and St. Martin several times. This was our first time going to St Kitts. We docked at 0800. Looking over the horizon, we could see the rain storms come through until about 0930. The rain clouds lingered over the top of the mountains in the rain forest all day. We departed the ship and headed to the port shopping area at the end of the pier. The one thing that I really dislike is the constant bombardment of vendors. Normally we book a tour through the cruise ship, but this time we did not.

One vendor had a unique approach so I listened to his short to the point presentation. I kindly asked him to make his presentation to two additional members in my group (6 people total). He made the presentation without variation in details. We all agreed that he seemed reasonable and started our full island three hour tour. His tour was very informative and filled with humor. If you are ever in St. Kitts and need an Island tour, check out the Fighting Cock Taxi service. He provided a very good tour at a very reasonable price. Two thumbs up for the tour.

After St. Kitts, the remaining two sea days were uneventful but relaxing. I spent many hours studying the on board art. Before we knew it the cruise was over and we were sailing back in Miami. I was on deck at 0430 capturing pictures of our return. We were tied up to the dock by 5:45 and people were leaving the ship at 0600. Getting off the boat was as easy as getting on the boat. They really have mastered this process. Two thumbs up to Celebrity. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 7132

The cabin was very quiet. The ventilation system worked really well. On windy sea days the balcony received a tremendous amount of sea spray that rendered it unusable unless you enjoy being covered in salty sea spray. Once the wind calms down, the balcony could be used for rest and relaxation as advertised. The room has ample size and storage space for two people. The safe is large enough to handle most valuable items. If I had taken my old laptop, it would have fit in the safe with no problem. The one thing that really sticks out in my mind is the size of the bathroom shower. The increased size is really a plus. This is a forward cabin, in rough seas I only felt the heavy rock and roll a few times. It is a long distance from the elevators and the eating venues. But it helps you walk off some of the delicious food.

The problem I have with this port has nothing to do with the port. The cruise ship arrives in San Juan too late. It would be nice if they could at least arrive by 12 or 1 PM. My favorite point of interest El Moro. The late arrival means that I can only visit one of the two Fort locations. I am a photographer and the fort never gets old. I walk from the ship to the Fort. It closes at 6 PM. Since we do not arrive until 3PM and you will probably not get off the ship until 3:30Pm, you really have to walk briskly to make to the Fort to have ample time to capture images. There is an upper and a lower Fort. I was only able to visit the one that can been seen as you sail into the port. I noticed that there were security guards along the walking route to the Fort. They gave helpful information and provided a modicum of comfort for the nervous first time visitor.
Read 1381 San Juan Reviews

This was my first visit to St. Kitts. My original plan was to walk around the port area to do some shopping and capture images. After moving through gauntlet of vendors I listened to one. See the review above. The tour turned out to be very good.

I have been to St Maarten several times. I have not taken a tour. The next time that I visit, I will definitely go to Maho Bay to watch the Jets take off and land. I walk from the port to the main shopping district. It is a short 1/2-3/4 mile walk from the pier. This is a well traveled route and a feeling of insecurity should not be an issue. Make sure that you use approved and licensed taxi services. I witnessed a few people using services that did not display the approved decals and documents. This is how people possibly place themselves in harms way. Once you get to the shopping district, there are plenty of places to eat, relax and take in the local culture. If you want to use a beach chair and umbrella, you will have to pay one of the locals who is responsible for the area you want to use. The local lady vendors walk around with multiple layers of items trying to get you to purchase a few for yourself. I have noticed that they do not approach me as much when I am alone as they do when I am with my wife. This visit the main shopping street was block off and not vehicular traffic was present. This was a very good choice by the local authorities. You could move from one side of the street to the other without having to watch for impatient local drivers. There were five cruise ships in port the day of our visit and it did not seem crowded or congested.